Re: [News] Opinions: Ubuntu Linux Loses Charm to Other GNU/Linux Distributions

  • Subject: Re: [News] Opinions: Ubuntu Linux Loses Charm to Other GNU/Linux Distributions
  • From: William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 13:19:20 +0100
  • Blinky-uip: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
It was on, or about,  Wed, 08 Aug 2007 10:59:19 +0100, that as I was
halfway through a large jam doughnut, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Ubuntu loses a disciple
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Over the past year and a bit, at least two Linux distributions which
> were | based on Debian GNU/Linux have stated that they will be switching
> their base | to Ubuntu. Now it appears that one distribution has
> backtracked. `----
>
> http://www.itwire.com/index.php?
option=com_content&task=view&id=13915&Itemid=1091

> Novell Wins Linux Desktop Pre-Load Dell Deal
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In his LinuxWorld keynote speech August 7th, Dell CTO Kevin Kettler
> announced | that Dell would be offering Novell's SLED (SUSE Linux
> Enterprise Desktop) in | China as a pre-load on Dell systems. `----
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS1990237723.html
>
> Extortionware? Hopefully, SLED will never become a de facto standard for
> Linux desktops. Microsoft gets a share, which it does not deserve (it
> paid Novell to cave in to vapour).

As from today, August 8th, Canonical announced today that DELL machines
are available in the UK, France and Germany.
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/segments/gen/
client/en/ubuntu_landing?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Nik Butler announced in the UK Ubuntu mailing list, that his company is
also gearing up to distribute & support them in the UK.

--
The universe exploded out of nothingness 14 billion years ago.
14 billion years later, & some of us have 100 trillion