Re: [News] Opinions: Ubuntu Linux Loses Charm to Other GNU/Linux Distributions

> Ubuntu loses a disciple
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Over the past year and a bit, at least two Linux distributions which were
>| based on Debian GNU/Linux have stated that they will be switching their base
>| to Ubuntu. Now it appears that one distribution has backtracked.
> `----
>
> http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13915&Itemid=1091

Isn't choice great?

I know that journalists like to see clear winners and losers, as it
helps them to sell their papers, or get pages hits, or whatever they're
trying to do.  However, in the free software world, the real gains come
through collaboration rather than direct competition.

Of course, pushing binary lock-in models undermines the collaborative
effort somewhat, but in the end, I suspect that they will go because of
the problems they cause.