Re: Has Micoshaft Corporation Lied In SEC Filing?

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7
<website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 08 Aug 2007 20:28:36 GMT
<UHpui.3232$cw7.2730@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>  "The Linux operating system, which is also derived from Unix and is
>  available without payment under a General Public License, has gained some
>  acceptance as competitive pressures lead PC OEMs to reduce costs."
>

> http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/119449.asp
>

> Linux is NOT derived from Unix.
> Its a blatant lie to say so.

There are a fair number of issues here; it is true that the
Linux kernel proper is not derived from Unix (i.e., SysV or
BSD) source code but Linux *does* incorporate certain Unix
design principles, mostly via POSIX specifications -- such
as relatively lightweight processes that can be fork()ed
readily and parent-child unnamed pipe() capability,
as opposed to the far heavier Windows CreateProcess().

And then there's the application and utility source.  I'm
not sure how much of it is pure Unix and how much of it
emulates Unix -- cp, mv, and rm in particular were probably
written from scratch, but I don't know regarding other
pieces.  X in particular is a bit of a mishmash, and has
gone through a number of hands since its inception at MIT.
(It's now in the hands of the Open Group, as is Unix.)

And then there's the feedback issue; I suspect Solaris
incorporated GNU's cp, mv, and rm into its source base,
as those had more capability than the Solaris utilities.
I can't say for sure, though.

As for payment -- there are costs and there are costs.
A 1 GB download might cost about $0.50, if that.  Linux is
not really free, but it's certainly very inexpensive to
initially acquire; the installation, however, will cost
maybe 30 minutes of one's time -- which may work out to
$100 if one's a good contractor.  Still cheaper than
Windows, especially if Windows requires installation
as well (as opposed to being preinstalled).

> It is the only way of deceiving Micoshaft investors
> so that their board can mount a SCO like attack
> on Linux.

Oh, I dunno; I could think of other ways of deceiving
investors, buyers, and vendors.  Remember the 2005
MS SQL "battery cell" campaign?  To me, that's at best
simplistic (SQL data storage/retrieval systems are more
complex than chemical energy storage cells, and return
a far different product) and at worst extremely silly.
I'm not sure it's intentionally deceptive, though.

The butterfly campaign suggests that Microsoft is
world-wide and interoperable to some.  They're half right,
in that case, as Microsoft is definitely world-wide.

The "Get The Facts" campaign is interesting for its notion
that Microsoft Windows might be cheaper than Linux -- which
it is, if one replaces a z-series mainframe running Linux
with a 486 running Windows 2000/MS SQL.  (Of course, the
replacement might not be able to handle the load... ;-) )

Other campaigns might come to mind.

> Micoshaft is preparing the ground for a future
> battle by telling big white lies now.
>
> Time I think to investors to sue Micoshaft Corporation
> for public deception and to bring criminal proceedings
> against its directors.
>
> Its also required that the SEC act responsibly and either
> demand Micoshaft Corporation prove Linux has been derived from Unix
> or face hefty fines for mis-representation and possible
> heavy fines for knowingly commit fraud against
> members of the investing public.

At the risk of veering off-topic, remember who's in the
White House...  :-)  This is not the most competent or
impartial of Administrations.  Fortunately, one area
they've not really touched thus far (AFACT, anyway) is
the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Unfortunately, one area they've (or Alberto Gonazales
has?) totally screwed up is Department of Justice.

One wonders if Bill Gates is a loyal Republican.  (I hope
not, for his sake; bad as Mr. Gates' behemoth is, it's at
least only responsible for its little monopoly.  :-) )

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Error 16: Not enough space on file system to delete file(s)