Re: [News] [Rival] IE7 Not Working Properly, Even on Windows Vista

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 08 Aug 2007 18:10:52 +0100
<2021467.zLcmxjUc80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 08 August 2007 16:08 : \____
>
>> chrisv <chrisv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> We're not talking about Windows.
>>>

>> Err, we were talking about Vista...
>
> Vista is not Windows.

Eh?  "Microsoft Windows Vista".  Looks like Windows to me.
(In other words, still the same old adulterated crap,
maybe a little, um, runnier than usual.  :-) )

> I used Windows before. Vista is just a different kind of
> monster. Even Windows 98, which is the last version I used, runs more
> applications than Vista does (Firefox included).

The games Microsoft plays in this space are apparently
... interesting.  I'm not sure if anyone has done an
analysis a la Andrew Schullman's _Unauthorized Windows
95_ for Vista, but I suspect that they're slipping in some
interesting tidbits under the radar.  There were also
hints of replacing WinInet, an old standby for downloading
websites, with WinHTTP at one point.

Even Unix is not immune; look at the vfork controversy of
about a decade or so back.  Fortunately, in the Unix/Linux
world, these sort of "slip-ins" aren't nearly as common.

Unfortunately, someone who has discovered something magical
underneath might find his supports knocked out from underneath
him.

And then there's the fourth (?) rewrite of the driver
protocols from Win3.1 to Windows Vista.  Bound to give
hardware vendors and their consultants headaches.  I
don't think Linux has had to worry about such rewrites
nearly as much.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
People think that libraries are safe.  They're wrong.  They have ideas.
(Also occasionally ectoplasmic slime and cute librarians.)