Re: Advocate!

____/ waterskidoo on Wednesday 08 August 2007 15:46 : \____

> On 2007-08-08, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> ...Don't you think we need to be aware of what they do to sabotage Linux
>> (and Google)? Learn from history. They have no ethics. They are ruthless.
>> They are secretive. These new business models (free software and
>> Web/ad-supported services) drive them mad. They try to change and subvert
>> (moving goalposts or pull carpets from under rivals' feet). They can't buy
>> he competition either. Some of the market share they buy (e.g. that company
>> they recently bough for $6 billion) are actually using Linux, so it shows
>> you how miserable they are. They throw money away. They recruit other
>> companies to do their fights too (Novell, Big Media, e.g. to fight YouTube).
>
> I agree with you Roy in that the general public has no idea how/why/when
> Microsoft decided their computing future.
> For those that do the research, the monolithic iconic structure most
> people picture when they think of Microsoft starts to crumble.
> However, it ends up boiling down to a "so what?" which is why I agree
> with you that the word has to be spread. My personal belief is that
> we must keep the Microsoft dirty tricks trump card ready to insert
> into the proper discussion and in the proper context.
> The reason I feel like this is because *I* get turned off and
> at the very least suspicious of constant ranting and raving about
> a certain topic. It's kind of like a fire and brimstone preacher who
> protests outside a gay rights counseling center vs the preacher who
> invites the entire community to picnics, concerts and such and then
> reads a little from the Bible.
> Which one do you think has a better chance of *converting* the
> people?
> That's just me though.

I see what you mean and I agree. Think of it as a research tool. Knowledge
helps and writing it down/indexing augments the mind.

>>> I rarely hear any Advocacy (anymore) promoting all these "advantages"
>>> to the public.
>>>

>>> Linux doesn't need marketshare; it needs mindshare...
>>
>> We need truth. Microsoft uses Big Lie strategies.
>
> You're both correct, although John's phrase would make
> some darn good advertising copy for Linux!
> We need to counter Microsoft's slanderous (or is it libel?)
> campaign against Linux and educate the public.

90%+ of it does not care. That's the main barrier. How do you make people
actually care or change? The OEMs are key here.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Get the most out of your hardware. Get Linux.
         run-level 2  2007-08-06 21:07                   last=