Re: [News] Survey Indicates That DRM Will Just Kill the Music Industry

____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 08 August 2007 18:22 : \____

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070805-survey-says-only-drm-free-music-is-worth-paying-for.html

>>> This is very important, because it undermines one of the few lock-in
>>> areas which Microsoft were hoping would keep it in business taxing
>>> people going forward, equally, it shoots canyon-wide gaping holes in the
>>> claims of the BBC Trust that DRM is required;  the fact is that nobody
>>> wants it, and that they're wasting /my/ money paying the Microsoft
>>> people for a Microsoft-only Microsoft iPlayer.
>>
>> Will you be in London to protest by any chance? The arrogant Softies won't
>> mind, but a Green Party MP will speak and generate some press coverage.
>>

> I'd like to go, but unfortunately, I will be in Derbyshire on that
> particular day, neither particularly near Manchester nor near London.  I
> notice on the digg site that there are still buffoons who honestly
> believe that Microsoft will write a client for some operating system
> other than Windows, and will support it, keep it going with all choices,
> make it work on mobile phones, on web tablets, etc. etc.
>
> Some of these people posting comments have to be the least well informed
> people I've ever had the displeasure to encounter.

One person in Digg talked about doing a project to have iPlayer work in Linux.
One has it running in a hypervisor (Windows license.... not the Basic edition
even, due to the EULA)... then saying that 'iPlayer works in Ubuntu'... these
people do more harm than good (Wine keeps some native/ports of games away for
the same reason). I told them this.

By the way, Ian Lynch slammed Apple in Digg some hours ago (the OOXML support
thingie).

Oh, and 5 minutes ago I received a compliment from something whom I don't know.

http://gridtech.blogspot.com/2007/08/best-blog-on-oss-linux-m-and-rest.html

Never been compared to Groklaw before...

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Never awaking askew, no matter what they ask you