Re: [Rival] The Messy Business of XBox360; Microsoft Drops Price to Survive

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Tuesday 07 August 2007 16:36 : \____

> Here's a fuller quote on the XBox analysis:
>
> <Quote>
> · The temperature gap with room temp was 22 degrees C. "When designing
> consumer products, it is common to seek a temperature gap of around 10
> degrees C between exhaust and room temperatures," the thermal design
> expert said. "The 22 degrees C is quite a large gap..."
>
> · The cooling fan was half of desktop PCs-apparently to reduce noise.
>
> · The expert pointed out, "The heat sink on the graphics LSI is so
> small, I wonder if it can really cool down the board." The reason for
> this? Apparently, Microsoft had to downsize the graphics LSI heat sink
> so that the DVD drive could be placed above it.
>
> · In five minutes after booting up a game, the graphic LSI heat sink
> temp rose to 70 degrees C. In 15 minutes, the temperature for the
> microprocessor heat sink stabilized at 58 degrees, but the graphics
> LSI heat sink reached 80 degrees C. If the room temperature was high
> (like 35 degrees C), the heat sink could possibly hit 100 degrees C.
> What's more, if the vents were clogged with dust, the temperature
> could also increase.
>
> · The console repaired in May 2007 did not have a new heat sink placed
> in it.
> This is bad design. Really, really bad.
> </Quote>

Good designers don't answer phonecalls from Microsoft. Maybe that's also why
Microsoft moves its operations elsewhere (notably Windows 7). It will have
better products if people who attend job interviews just want very basic
things in life. Enlightened engineers know too much about Microsoft. Even the
press cannot hide it, certainly not the technical press.

VISTA - Venereally-Infectious, Sexually-Transmitted Aliment
         run-level 2  2007-08-06 21:07                   last=