Re: Straw poll: Linux kernel & GPL3

p5000011 wrote:

> Hypothetical scenario:
>
> Linux kernel is placed under GPL3. Nvidia and ATI refuse to release
> the source code to their kernel driver modules and hence stop
> providing drivers for Linux. Is this:

There are multiple assumptions in that question, some of which are flawed
(my own comments at the end - which are orthogonal to this question
altogether).

1. There is nothing in GPLv3 except the Tivoisation clause that can impact
Nvidia and ATI. Roughly speaking, it forbids manufacturers from releasing
GPL'ed drivers that prevent users from making changes to the GPL'ed code
(there is nothing in that clause that protects users who make *stupid*
changes to the code that impact the hardware adversely).

2. There is nothing in GPLv3 that prevents compilation and linking of
proprietary modules against the kernel.

3. Starting with kernel 2.6.23, many of the simpler drivers can reportedly
be pushed into the userspace.

> [1] Good for Linux?
> [2] Bad for Linux?

False choice predicated on faulty assumptions.

> I vote [2]
>
> For sure I'd like all code to be open source but it has been a
> struggle for years to get companies to provide drivers for Linux. At
> this critical time of widespread Linux adoption I believe anything
> that caused a reduction in essential HW support would be a death
> knell.

A troll would surely hope so.

> The LGPL exists for the exact reason that the GPL was too restrictive
> in the opinion of many. The FSF reluctantly had to accept this fact.

And the FSF has not lost sight of that fact. LGPL v3 exists, ready for use.

My own comments :

If Nvidia and ATI released quality drivers, open source or not, I would be
happy. Currently, I use only Intel hardware, not because they are open
source, but because their drivers are reliable and do not force the use of
wierd kludges that break other things. Sure - being open source helps that
happen, but anyone with an interest in gaining Linux marketshare would
bother to make sure their sole Linux product worked properly and nicely
with everything else.

I keep hearing about Ubuntu, SuSe and other people asking about support for
their distro. Nvidia (and this is worth emulating for anyone writing
hardware support for Linux) has a shell script independent of distro that
does the installation.