Re: Straw poll: Linux kernel & GPL3

____/ p5000011 on Wednesday 08 August 2007 02:14 : \____

> Hypothetical scenario:
>
> Linux kernel is placed under GPL3. Nvidia and ATI refuse to release
> the source code to their kernel driver modules and hence stop
> providing drivers for Linux. Is this:
>
> [1] Good for Linux?
> [2] Bad for Linux?

> I vote [2]
>
> For sure I'd like all code to be open source but it has been a
> struggle for years to get companies to provide drivers for Linux. At
> this critical time of widespread Linux adoption I believe anything
> that caused a reduction in essential HW support would be a death
> knell.
>
> The LGPL exists for the exact reason that the GPL was too restrictive
> in the opinion of many. The FSF reluctantly had to accept this fact.

IANAL, but I think you misunderstand the GPLv3. It does not forbid such drivers
at all. What it forbids are devices that use GPLv3-ed software and refuse to
operate when the software is altered.

Where did you get the impression that GPLv3 will have the consequences you
describe above. There is a lot of GPLv3 noise out there, which Microsoft and
its lobbying arms, shills, and partners have spread.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Florida is bigger than England
Swap:  1510068k total,   675876k used,   834192k free,    60628k cached