[News] Canonical Continues Turning Linux into Business

  • Subject: [News] Canonical Continues Turning Linux into Business
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 05:04:00 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Canonical and Altkom Akademia partner to deliver Ubuntu Certified Professional
training in Poland

,----[ Quote ]
| With over 73 classrooms in seven major cities, Ubuntu training will be
| available to customers throughout Poland.
`----

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/canonical-altkom-akademia-deliver-training-in-poland

Open Source Projects and Corporations

,----[ Quote ]
| So, corporations support open source in order to make money. Duh! But, let’s
| think about who benefits: shareholders, employees, the company’s customers,
| and whoever uses the supported open source software. So, in the case of
| Yahoo! or IBM, or Sun, or Intel — is there anyone reading this post who isn’t
| among that group of beneficiaries?
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/08/open_source_projects_and_corpo_1.html

Related:

Ubuntu is not a charity: Shuttleworth

,----[ Quote ]
| While Shuttleworth will keep funding Ubuntu until it reaches sustainability,
| he wants the project to reach a point where it does not depend on either
| him or any other person to pour in money. "Currently revenues that help
| underwrite Ubuntu come from support and professional services," he says.

Canonical and NT+C Südwest GmbH Partner to Deliver Ubuntu Certified
Professional Training in Germany

,----[ Quote ]
| "The uptake of Linux in Germany has increased dramatically over the
| past two years. Canonical produces the fastest growing and most
| popular Linux distribution, partnering with them is of great
| importance not only to us, but to German businesses," added Hugo
| Schröer, CEO at NT+C Südwest GmbH.
`----

http://prweb.com/releases/2007/3/prweb513886.htm

Canonical and Eureca Training Center Partner to Deliver Ubuntu Certified
Professional Training in Russia

,----[ Quote ]
| "The popularity of Ubuntu in the Russian Federation has really
| impressed us and it is clear that there is real demand for
| Certified skills and qualifications in Russia..."

Canonical and Savoir-Faire Linux Partner to Deliver Ubuntu Certified
Professional Training in Canada

,----[ Quote ]
| "Savoir-Faire was a natural partner for Ubuntu training in Canada.
| They promote and assist open source and Linux deployments in
| companies across Canada with training, an integral part of wide
| adoption. Having them on board will provide the companies now
| deploying Ubuntu with training for their employees," commented
| Chris Kenyon, business development director at Canonical.
`----

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2007/4/emw522471.htm

Telco dumps Red Hat for Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Providing location information to thousands of mobile phone users is all in a
| day's work for Ubuntu Linux, which has replaced popular enterprise
| distribution Red Hat for Locatrix Communications' mission-critical workloads.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1500265380;fp;4;fpid;18

Ubuntu Creator Reaches Out to Novell, Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| Shuttleworth’s goal is to ensure Ubuntu, Red Hat, Novell and other major
| providers have a blockbuster lineup of new, coordinated offerings in 2010.
| It’s Sunday, folks, so I’m not sure how Novell and Red Hat will react and
| they’re not available for comment. However, the announcement by Shuttleworth
| essentially tries to rally the Linux market to offer enterprises releases on
| a predictable two-year schedule (2008, 2010, 2012, etc.).
`----

http://techiqmag.com/2007/07/22/ubuntu-creator-reaches-out-to-novell-red-hat/

How Canonical Stays on the Light Side

,----[ Quote ]
| By focusing on enabling users, and keeping the commercial interests of
| Canonical separate from the interests of the community, Shuttleworth hopes to
| avoid the fate of another company who once upon a time was very interested in
| user enpowerment.
|
| "I think what ultimately went wrong... was the desire people have to win
| supersedes all else. As soon as you get that, then you get a sort of
| pathological level of behavior where people's actions and the decisions that
| they are making ensures they will continue to win," Shuttleworth said.
|
| That company? Microsoft.
|
| Clearly Shuttleworth does not to walk the same path as Ubuntu anCanonical
| become more successful with the passing days, and his company reflects the
| vigilance to avoid such a fate.
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/interviews/6405/1/

Launchpad PPA Service: Software Development the Ubuntu Way

,----[ Quote ]