Re: [News] Media Serves Monopoly Abuser in Fight Against GPLv3

____/ Peter Köhlmann on Saturday 04 August 2007 00:50 : \____

> [H]omer wrote:
>
>> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
>>
>>> At some point, Mr Torvalds will realise just why the changes to the GPL
>>> are so important.  Fundamentally, it's about freedom, it's about
>>> avoiding lock-in.
>>
>> You should read Torvalds comments from last month:
>>
>> "I think Tivoization is *good*"
>
>> http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/6/17/303
>
> Good idea. You should read it it too
>
>> The whole sorry thread is quite a revelation. Torvalds has gone
>> completely off the rails.
>
> Really? What part of "They gave the software back! Be happy! They *followed*
> the rules. They *followed* the tit-for-tat" is "of the rails"?
>
>> If you're expecting to appeal to his sense of
>> Freedom, I think you're wasting your time - he hasn't got one.
>>

> You mean the "freedom" *not* to be able to use lots of hardware if the
> kernel where GPL3 (and silently praying that the day of a GPL3 kernel will
> never come)? You mean the "freedom" not even to be allowed to use GPL3
> software in certain voting machines? Freedom like that?

Peter, have a quick look:

http://www.groklaw.net/articlebasic.php?story=20060118155841115

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Mandriva & Fedora - Gotta love them girls
         run-level 2  2007-06-16 18:32                   last=