[News] [Rival] Windows Vista a Security Nuisance, Vulnerability Ransoms on the Way

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista a Security Nuisance, Vulnerability Ransoms on the Way
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 16:10:14 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
False positives run amok in Vista anti-virus tests

,----[ Quote ]
| The first independent tests of anti-malware products on 64-bit Windows Vista
| revealed a rash of false positives.
|
| Of the 20 products submitted for testing to independent security
| certification body Virus Bulletin, six generated false positives when
| scanning a set of known clean files.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/03/64bitvista_av_tests/

Bug hunting start-up: Pay up, or feel the pain

,----[ Quote ]
| Forslof, who previously worked as security program manager for the Microsoft
| Security Response Center, said she came across similar situations about a
| dozen times during her stint at the software giant between 2000 to 2005.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6200489.html

Related:

Note to new Linux users: No antivirus needed

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most common questions I hear new Linux users ask is "What
| program should I use for virus protection?" Many of them lose faith
| in me as a source of security information when I reply, "None." But
| you really don't need to fear malware on your new platform, thanks
| to the way Linux is built.

Trend Micro flaw opens PCs to takeover

,----[ Quote ]
| As a result, the PC could suffer a "blue screen of death" or
| allow the attacker to remotely execute code and take control of
| the system, Trend Micro said.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6157554.html

McAfee Apologizes for Bugs in Falcon Roll Out

,----[ Quote ]
| The new software didn't work well with some ISP (Internet service
| provider) software, causing browsing slow-downs for some users, the
| company said. And customers who had disabled firewall protection would
| be presented with notification messages that could not be ignored, an
| annoyance for some.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20060912/tc_pcworld/127111

Symantec customers stranded by renewals glitch

,----[ Quote ]
| Symantec's integration with Veritas in the UK has run into computer
| problems, leaving many Symantec customers unable to renew their
| corporate anti-virus licenses and large numbers of computers
| unprotected.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/04/symantec_glitch/

Single Anti-Virus Engine Is Vulnerable to Your Business Operations

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.spywarehunter.org/entry/single-anti-virus-engine-is-vulnerable-to-your-business-operations/