Re: [News] [Rival] Apple and Microsoft Continue with the Fonts Doupoly

> Microsoft, Apple extend font licensing agreement
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Apple Inc. and Microsoft Corp.said Thursday they have renewed their
>| font licensing agreement. Financial terms weren't disclosed. Under
>| the agreement, Apple users will have ongoing use of the latest
>| versions of Microsoft Windows core fonts, the companies said.
> `----
>
> http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7BBE0DE608-99A6-4780-BE50-A9504AABB041%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo
>
> Of course, using free fonts on the Web would be the correct approach. Opera has
> loudly complained about what they called the fonts monopoly.

As I noted in the digest, the point of HTML was that it would be
renderer independent.  The reason why the font tag was introduced was an
early attempt by Microsoft to proprietarise the web.  The proper
solution is to remove the <font> tag and go back to writing html in such
a way that the client device can render it as it sees fit.  Any page
which assumes anything about the display device is self-limiting in its
flexibility.

As we move to more and more mobility, then rendering could be in all
manner of different ways;  in particular, I expect audio rendering to
become popular for use in cars.  What value is "800x600" when your
interface is entirely sonic?  What use is "arial 12 pt" when the
audience is listening to Festival?