Re: Mass. Surrenders to Microsoft's Open XML Push (SJVN)

> ____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Friday 03 August 2007 15:55 : \____
>
>> <Quote>
>> Microsoft wins. We lose...open standards have taken a major hit, which
>> will eventually hit us in the wallet...
>>
>> In the long run, this means that no one except Microsoft Office users
>> will be able to Open XML. And since it's a "standard," no one else
>> will give OpenOffice, WordPerfect or any of the other office suites a
>> fair try. Once more, Microsoft will have set up the software game so
>> that it and it alone, can be the only winner.
>>
>> Don't think it will matter to you as a user? Just wait until you see
>> what the next version of Office is going to cost you once Microsoft
>> has ground its would be competition back into the dirt.
>> </Quote>
>>
>> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2165652,00.asp
>>
>> Money, lies, and corruption.  The themes of our times.
>
> An aspect here which people seem to be missing is the rise of Web-based office
> suites. They can make formats quite irrelevant.  Instead of people sending you
> Office files, they only E-mail you a link to an address that contains a
> spreadsheet/document/presentation. Firefox 3.0 gets offline support.
>
> I published a well-cited item on corruption in MA. Microsoft cannot escape from
> the crimes it has done to achieve this 'victory' in MA.

I suspect that once the people of Mass. see the costs they must bear in
order to work with their government, compared with the massively reduced
costs in geographies where real open standards have been adopted, I
think the pressure on the Mass. government will force them to adopt a
real standard, rather than use the Microsoft proprietary format.  What's
amazing is that all the technical journalists are now calling this as it
is, so in terms of the propaganda war, we have moved up a couple of
gears.

In the end, Microsoft will run out of spare cash to fund this kind of
political corruption, as their house of cards comes falling down.

It's like a variation of the 3 little pigs story;  in this case, they've
built a house of straw, but have recruited lots of really hard pigs to
protect their house from the heavy-breathing wolves.  Sooner or later,
they'll run out of money to pay the hard pigs to protect them, and their
house will be blown down.