Re: Mass. Surrenders to Microsoft's Open XML Push (SJVN)

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Friday 03 August 2007 15:55 : \____

> <Quote>
> Microsoft wins. We lose...open standards have taken a major hit, which
> will eventually hit us in the wallet...
>
> In the long run, this means that no one except Microsoft Office users
> will be able to Open XML. And since it's a "standard," no one else
> will give OpenOffice, WordPerfect or any of the other office suites a
> fair try. Once more, Microsoft will have set up the software game so
> that it and it alone, can be the only winner.
>
> Don't think it will matter to you as a user? Just wait until you see
> what the next version of Office is going to cost you once Microsoft
> has ground its would be competition back into the dirt.
> </Quote>

> Money, lies, and corruption.  The themes of our times.

An aspect here which people seem to be missing is the rise of Web-based office
suites. They can make formats quite irrelevant.  Instead of people sending you
Office files, they only E-mail you a link to an address that contains a
spreadsheet/document/presentation. Firefox 3.0 gets offline support.

I published a well-cited item on corruption in MA. Microsoft cannot escape from
the crimes it has done to achieve this 'victory' in MA.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Did anyone see my lost carrier?"