Re: [News] Company Abandons Pseudo-Open Source Licence

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 03 August 2007 11:34 : \____

>> xTuple becomes second CPAL licensee
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| I already mentioned this in an update to the original story, but I think
>>| it's worth highlighting that xTuple, the company formerly known as OpenMFG,
>>| has adopted the recently OSI-approved CPAL license for its new PostBooks
>>| software.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/08/xtuple_becomes.html
>>
>> Still, it's badgeware, so "open source" loses its value.
>
> I suspect that the OSI is becoming a significant barrier to the proper
> growth of free software.  I wasn't all that happy when the OSI was
> kicked-off, and I'm even less happy about it now.

Some Linux news sites totally ignore the "Open Source" phenomenon and I'm
thinking about doing the same thing. I usually check before posting just to be
sure a company has a FLOSS spirit and isn't just riding the wave, so to speak
(more and more of these every day).

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Anonymity - established 2001, Google Groups
Mem:    515500k total,   434260k used,    81240k free,     1084k buffers