Re: [News] Company Abandons Pseudo-Open Source Licence

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 03 August 2007 14:21 : \____

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/08/xtuple_becomes.html

>>> I suspect that the OSI is becoming a significant barrier to the proper
>>> growth of free software.  I wasn't all that happy when the OSI was
>>> kicked-off, and I'm even less happy about it now.
>>
>> Some Linux news sites totally ignore the "Open Source" phenomenon and I'm
>> thinking about doing the same thing. I usually check before posting just to
>> be sure a company has a FLOSS spirit and isn't just riding the wave, so to
>> speak (more and more of these every day).
>>

> I'm still not sure whether Eric Raymond was acting in genuine good faith
> when he kicked off the OSI thing, or whether he was being a bit
> "anti-hippy" in order to appear to be more pro-business.
>
> I think he truly intended to make free software seem a bit more business
> friendly, but in doing so, I think he rather missed the point with
> respect to the lock-in and freedom aspects of floss.

Well, he works at Lispire now and he has not uttered a single word since
Linspire signed the deal with Microsoft. He has been eerily quiet. I wonder if
Carmony and the "Sunshine Boys" (as some call them) are sharing that wad of
cash ($20 million apparently) which they received from Microsoft.

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison, Stalin.
Thanks for tuning in.