Re: Boycott Novell

____/ Ian Hilliard on Saturday 18 August 2007 18:18 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ____/ waterskidoo on Friday 17 August 2007 01:40 : \____

>>> Very well put Ian, I do agree with what you are saying.
>>
>> Thanks, to Novell, Linux *is* becoming Windows. It's blending. It's not an
>> alternative. .NET, OOXML, Silverlight...
>>
>> Novell's strategic agenda seems to be influenced the most by Miguel de
>> Icaza, whom some call "a Microsoft fanboi". This ought to worry you if you
>> foresee Linux as not another proprietary platform. If you want balance to
>> be achieved in this way, then you might as well advocate Macs too. Apple
>> loves lock-in more than Microsoft loves it.
>>

> Linux already supports a lot of Microsoft's protocols, such as .doc, .wmf,
> etc... This support has been needed so that Linux users can operate in a
> world, which is still very much controlled by Microsoft.

Just to clarify, this is not related to the core of the Novell/Microsoft deal.
It's more of a side effect. ODF had a long and strong upper hand last year.
Microsoft continues to try to change this by dumping money onto companies' and
partners' desktop. Technical discussions become political and money driven.

> The complaints that you make should not be about Linux supporting
> Microsoft's formats. The complaint should be about people providing content
> in Microsoft proprietary formats.

OOo won't save as OOXML, no matter how hard you try. Still, some people won't
be educated until you pull certain tools out of their hands. How about those
WMP-free editions of Windows, which are only (and rarely) available in the EU?

> In fact, the real complaint is that there is a lack of open standards at the
> moment for providing media content to the Internet. In the resulting
> vacuum, it is easy for Microsoft to push its proprietary solutions.

A complaint or two have already been filed to protest against Microsoft's
attempt to hijack the Web and turn the Net into .NET.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "On the eighth day, God created UNIX"
Cpu(s): 27.9%us,  4.8%sy,  1.0%ni, 61.2%id,  4.6%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st