Re: [News] XenSource-Citrix Deal Anticompetitive and Predatory

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

<snipped my own> (as ite were)

> You mentioned kicking the arse of a VM. Have a look:
>
> Microsoft flip-flops on Vista virtualization
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Software like Parallels Desktop for the Mac or Microsoft's own Virtual
> | PC for Windows allow multiple operating systems to run simultaneously.
> | When it announced licensing rules for Vista last year, Microsoft said
> | that only Vista Business and Vista Ultimate could run as guest
> | operating systems. The company said virtualization presents inherent
> | security risks and that it hoped by limiting which versions of the OS
> | could act as virtual machines, only sophisticated users and businesses
> | would employ the tactic.
> `----
>
> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6191787.html

No one is going to see the VM host. It is one of those magical systems that
you become dependant on, but never see it, you use the VM not the VM host.

So really it doesn't mateer who has the hosts. Except that in future the
host may well be in a position to make demands of the OS's that wish to be
hosted. Which is probably part one of the reason why MS don't want Vista
hosted by any VM host other than their own. Part two is that they will want
to be the one who has power over those hosted, that wouldn't come for many
years yet, but it will come, I have seen it in my tealeaves, I also noticed
six numbers while I was looking, but I've already bought this week's ticket
so it can't be that, maybe it's a phone number, I'll try it later.

> Microsoft Says No Windows Virtualization on Top of Linux
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft will not allow Windows Vista or Windows XP to be virtualized
> | on top of Linux, Sam Ramji, the director of Microsoft's open-source
> | software lab, said at the annual LinuxWorld Conference and Expo here
> | Aug. 7.
> `----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2168183,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

That one is wrong, on Debian's site they acknowledged MS's help patching XP
just so that it could sit as a VM.

I know Vista is meant to not allow itself to be a VM, but then, who would
want to do that, come on, lets keep it real.