[News] Even Cisco Starts Releasing Open Source Code

  • Subject: [News] Even Cisco Starts Releasing Open Source Code
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:51:03 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Cisco offers up safe mapping tool as open source

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the first we've come across an open source tool from Cisco. What are
| the others it has offered?
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/18481

Open Source Outsourcing

,----[ Quote ]
| The smart software companies like Google and Red Hat know this and respond
| directly to their users. They have already made the mistake of not
| communicating and have suffered and learned.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/ittroubleshooter/archives/2007/08/open_source_out.html?source=rss

Will Cisco, Microsoft Bury the Hatchet?

,----[ Quote ]
| Cisco and Microsoft are cordial to each other, but they aren’t exactly the
| best of partners.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070816/44643_id.html?.v=1

Related:

Chambers: We're Not Plumbers Anymore

| by internetnews.com Chambers responded, "I think that open source or
| open content is the future. You want to be able to create your own
| content and we want to do that empowerment."
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3684241#49977821313266324796

Citizen journalism innovation using open source methodology

,----[ Quote ]
| “What I like about HULIQ.com is the possibility to use the open
| source methodology to tap on the unlimited resource of public
| journalism,” continues Helge.
`----

http://www.huliq.com/blog/admin/06/19/2007/citizen-journalism-innovation-using-open-source-methodology#810088711395918233

Partner Progam: Vyatta Partner Program To Accelerate Adoption Of Open-Source
Networking

,----[ Quote ]
| "Developing our Vyatta Ready partner program is an important step in
| the rapid growth of our global partner ecosystem, which we believe
| will make our Linux-based networking solution a standard fixture
| in growing networks and data centers around the world," said Keith
| Hartley, vice president of alliances at Vyatta.
`----

http://www.itreselleronline.com/content/news/article.asp?docid=ffc059ac-bca4-4d4a-bc27-de0e3b34a69c&atc~c=771+s=773+r=001+l=a&VNETCOOKIE=NO

Open source and secret sauce

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source router outperforming Cisco device in test revives the
| "commodity" vs. "special purpose" debate
|
| [...]
|
| Marketing trumped technology, however. Competitors would say "you don't
| want to trust your network to a PC" -- even though it really wasn't a PC.
| And FUD prevailed. Today we can expect to hear the same comments made in
| reference to open source. Will they work this time?
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/2007/041107tolly.html?fsrc=rss-ibm

Comcast invests in Vyatta, open source router maker

,----[ Quote ]
| The company has raised a total of $18.5 million so far. The
| investment indicates that cable carriers are getting serious
| about chasing the small and medium sized businesses, and
| competing with the telephone companies in more than just
| consumer markets.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2007/04/01/vyatta-comcast/

Free Linux router distro gains sophisticated QoS

,----[ Quoye ]
| A small, Linux router distribution for x86 has added QoS
| (quality-of-service) management features claimed capable of
| classifying packets regardless of port. The 1.0.beta4 release
| of Zeroshell now includes QoS software from the open source
| "L7-filter" project, along with a QoS management interface.
|
| Zeroshell is available as a live CD or bootable CompactFlash
| (512MB) image. It includes a Web-based user interface, and
| supports many advanced features; see our earlier coverage
| for specifics.

Vyatta Delivers Twice the Performance of Cisco at Half the Price

,----[ Quote ]
| Vyatta today announced the release of independent third-party testing
| results from The Tolly Group that measured the throughput and
| performance of the open-source, x86-based Vyatta router and
| firewall appliance versus the proprietary Cisco 2821 ISR.
|
| "This report shatters the myth that proprietary hardware products
| are a better choice than standard x86-based systems for network
| infrastructure," said Dave Roberts, VP of strategy and marketing
| at Vyatta. "For the majority of routing applications, open-source
| software and x86-based hardware can easily address the performance
| requirements and at significantly lower price points."
`----

http://www.topix.net/content/prweb/2794294903426800112404643709233288209670

Will an open source router replace your Cisco router?

,----[ Quote ]
| By using VMware, I was able to get this new router up in less than 30
| minutes--as promised by the evaluation guide. In fact, half of that time
| came from downloading the file. In addition, I ended up reading some of the
| guide to learn the default login and the basics of the user interface.
|
| In my opinion, Vyatta shows a lot of promise. While I'm not recommending
| throwing out Cisco routers in favor of Vyatta just yet, spending 30 minutes
| to familiarize yourself with what it can do is a smart idea.
`----

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-6163569.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=tr
http://tinyurl.com/37zkvp

Open source router on par with Cisco, users say

,----[ Quote ]
| "I'd say that any PC we could put [Vyatta OFR] on today is going to be
| way faster than Cisco. I would not be doing backbone routing with this,
| but I would not hesitate to say this will compete against Cisco
| either," Newnam said. "Well, as long as we're not switching half of
| the U.S. of course."
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1218088,00.html

University dumps Cisco VOIP for open-source Asterisk

,----[ Quote ]
| SHSU is in the process of moving its 6,000 students, faculty and staff off
| of Cisco CallManager IP PBXs and a legacy Nortel Meridian PBX over to Linux
| servers running Asterisk...
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1646405846;fp;4;fpid;78268965

Dumping Cisco for open-source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source networking trend is limited so far, but it
| could grow fast
|
| The open-source movement, which has long made inroads
| into corporations via Linux and other enterprise-level
| software, now has a potentially bigger target in its
| cross hairs: the PBXs and network routers from companies
| such as Cisco Systems Inc. that form the basis of
| networking infrastructure.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9004223
http://tinyurl.com/t8cfw

Cisco CEO Says Microsoft Screws Its Partners Everytime...Just Like Apple.

,----[ Quote ]
| If partnering with Microsoft is not a win-win then it must be a win-lose…in
| Microsoft’s favor of course.
`----

http://www.ceosmack.com/2007/07/25/cisco-ceo-says-microsoft-screws-its-partners-everytimejust-like-apple/

Cisco CEO: 'Microsoft Has Given Us a Three-Year Lead'

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has given us a three-year lead. And we've never lost a
| game when we've had a three-year lead... It's a battle we fully
| intend to win.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070405/31630_id.html?.v=1

Microsoft's Worst Nightmare (Nope, Not Google)

,----[ Quote ]
| The Cisco/Linksys drive into the home follows an absolutely miserable
| effort by Microsoft, which had a first-mover advantage but blew it in
| favor of its Xbox gaming play. Maybe Microsoft figured the timing just
| wasn't right. In any case, Microsoft angered a lot of digital home
| integrators who were hoping for some support to break open the
| market.
`----

http://www.crn.com/digital-home/198700830

Cisco benefits as Microsoft keeps moving the goalposts

,----[ Quote ]
| Forced between choosing between unified comms vendors, many users
| are reluctantly opting to use an alternative to Microsoft. Others,
| it seems, are a lot less disappointed.
|
| [...]
|
| The Microsoft partner confessed that Cisco is the preferred option. "Cisco
| has a better track record of consistency on upgrades. Whereas Microsoft?s
| new products can be a completely different kettle of fish from the last,"
| he said.

Cisco, Microsoft, Others Get Together On Security

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, Cisco Systems and the open-standards Trusted Computing
| Group each developed their own NAC approaches, which use a variety
| of software and hardware to boost network security.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/070531/tech01.html?.v=1

Can Microsoft and Cisco Still Be Pals?

,----[ Quote ]
| That puts it in direct competition with Microsoft, which is No. 2
| with its Live Meeting service. Microsoft's big push will come in
| June when it begins producing a host of products, including Microsoft
| Office Communicator 2007.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/content/may2007/db20070509_476708.htm?campaign_id=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/2pt3yw

Why the world needs openness, not interoperability.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-11203_3-6112960.html?part=rss&tag=6112960&subj=news