Re: [News] What Will the Ultimate Linux Handheld Be?

____/ waterskidoo on Sunday 12 August 2007 06:20 : \____

> On 2007-08-12, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Well, what is the "public"? Surely, iPhone is for a niche. Can Google's
>> phone address the needs of /everybody/? It's a little like the distro
>> debate. Not everyone requires the same functionality or can bear the same
>> size(scale/capacity)/design.
>
> A product that people wait in line for is not a niche product.
> Granted most people will never NEED all the features of an iPhone
> but that doesn't matter because it is a marketing thing.
> IOW people WANT the iPhone.

Not many people can afford it or accept the contract. Desire (WANT) is separate
from demand that materialises.

> Will they WANT the Linux phone?

Depends on the phone. Linux is just means of making phones more attractive
(applications and third-party developers) and more affordable. A Nokia exec
also talked about development speed the other day.

>> At the end of the day, there is no 'perfect phone'. You could argue that
>> most people use Windows XP, so it must the perfect desktop operating system,
>> but that's where you have other factors to consider. Are people offered
>> choice? Is there lock-in?
>
> People don't care about lock in.
> Bloggers care about lock in.
> People care about gadgets and what is kool.
> It's like saying to someone, 'you know that American flag you
> put on your porch on 4th of July is made in China?'
> They don't care.

Care != know.

Also, people think of lock-in in different terms, but they understand some
things better.

DRM to a technical person is "I lost all my music collection" to another less
tech-savvy person. Seen those studies on DRM-free music recently?

>> While we have lock-in (plenty more to come with XPS/XAML/OOXML), the choice
>> factor is being addressed. Large OEMs stock Linux laptop and desktop PCs.
>
> But who is actually buying?
> Linux savvy people or average everyday people?

Some average everyday people, according to Dell Computers.

> Why doesn't Dell for example have an advertising campaign for
> their Linux systems?

It'll elevate cost and make existing Linux user feel like sheep. It alienates.
You don't advertise water or oil, but people continue to consume it. Software
ceases to be a commodity that people were led to believe it is.

> Their "back to school" advertisements are all over the toob in USA
> now.
> All Windows Vista.
> Why is that?
> These are the questions that need to be addressed.

The day that Linux starts advertisting in this way is the day that I will move
to BSD or whatever. Linux is about freedom. Linux is about a different way.

The day that Linux accepts nothing but binary drivers and does back to school
Tux ads is the day it becomes OS X. I don't want OS X. It is just about as
evil is Vista.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Microsoft's Counter-Supportive Evangelist (MCSE)
Mem:    515500k total,   445120k used,    70380k free,     1404k buffers