Re: [News] [Rival] Has Microsoft Just Corrupted the Swiss System for Voting on OOXML (Monopoly Enabler)?

____/ Marshall on Sunday 12 August 2007 00:39 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Swiss Cheese [for OOXML]
>>
> <snip>
>
> Forgive my naivety on this but even though Microsoft is likely to buy
> and manipulate their way to the purported winners seat on this, does it
> not still come down to the man (and corporation) on the street to have
> the final say here?
>
> Are there really that many people left that will blithely go with the so
> called declared standard when most people (I should hope) can see right
> through this and and recognize that Microsoft is bound and determined to
> hold onto seats via any given product lock in that they can manufacture?
>
> Don't get me wrong, if Microsoft is for it, I'm probably against it as I
> have no trust in them for much of anything other than their ability to
> glom money. But I'm not entirely convinced that this is not much more
> than a death struggle for them. They might have a win on paper but I'm
> frankly hoping that it is a hollow victory and that the actual users are
> smart enough to reject their false, manipulated and bloated standard anyway.

I doubt it, to be perfectly honest with you. If the CIO decides that ODF is the
way to go and Office does not support it (it does not; in fact, Microsoft
broke Sun's plugin with DLL hell), then there's incentive to change. What's
needed is a mass migration at 'state-level'. Norway is a good example, I
think. Japan also.

Windows is more of a 'teaser' (free sample|) for Microsoft Office, so it's
Microsoft biggest (and one among the very few) cash cows. Many divisions at
Microsoft lose money as the company starts to send its developers off shore or
employ foreigners for long, long hours. The next Windows, for example, will be
developed in India.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | One, Two, Free Open Source Software (FOSS)