Re: Microsoft loses key U.S. OpenXML vote

____/ John Locke on Saturday 11 August 2007 21:11 : \____

> On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 18:55:09 +0100, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>____/ John Bailo, Texeme.Construct on Saturday 11 August 2007 18:44 : \____

>>> Talk about the Giants of Industry squaring off:
>>>
>>> =========
>>> Committee representatives from Microsoft, Apple, Intel, Sony, EMC,
>>> Hewlett-Packard, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and the
>>> Electronic Industries Alliance supported Microsoft's standard.
>>>
>>> Against it were IBM, Oracle, Lexmark, the U.S. Department of Defense,
>>> the National Institute of Standards and Technology, GS1 U.S., and
>>> Farance. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
>>> abstained due to "the divergent viewpoints of key IEEE members."
>>> =========
>>
>>Well done, Oracle. Shame on Apple who are once again raping BSD developers
>>whose code they use.
> ...and shame on Hewlett-Packard. I rather doubt the engineers at that comapny
> would approve.
>
> Microsoft, you know, won't sit still for this. As we speak they're already
> assembling their attack force. I suspect they'll go after Lexmark first.
> They'll have a tough time gouging votes from the others.

    "There is no question that all over the world the competing interests in
the Open XML standardization process are going to use all tactics available to
them within the rules."

                  -- Microsoft's Director of Corporate Standards Jason Matusow

http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonmatusow/archive/2007/07/30/ecma-open-xml-and-the-portuguese-national-body.aspx

Translation: we play as ugly as possible without getting caught or punished

This was said recently after we told the story about how Massachusetts was
bullied. Also see:

Microsoft's 'Men in Black' kill Florida open standards legislation

,----[ Quote ]
| It was just a bit of text advocating open data formats that was slipped into
| a Florida State Senate bill at the last minute with no fanfare, but within
| 24 hours three Microsoft-paid lobbyists, all wearing black suits, were
| pressuring members of the Senate Committee on Governmental Operations
| (COGO) to remove the words they didn't like from Senate bill 1974.
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/16/2019244&from=rss

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue"
Mem:    515500k total,   444416k used,    71084k free,     1728k buffers