[News] Linux Has Energy Efficiency Advantage Over Windows

  • Subject: [News] Linux Has Energy Efficiency Advantage Over Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:31:34 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux, Windows duke it out over energy efficiency

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux appears to have an advantage at the moment: Companies are becoming
| increasingly open to adopting the platform both in the server room and on the
| desktop. Big-name vendors like IBM, HP, and Novell are giving the penguin a
| push in the datacenter, framing it as a flexible and energy-efficient
| platform. The fact that Linux offers greater virtualization opportunities
| than Windows (a sentiment recently expressed by the VMWare CTO Mendel
| Rosenblum) only strengthens the platform's green standing.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/sustainableit/archives/2007/08/linux_and_windo.html?source=rss

Sun is probably hard to beat.

Why You're Not Getting Your Money's Worth Out of That New CPU

| Multicore CPUs like Intel's Core 2 Extreme and AMD's dual-core Athlon 64 have
| brought about better performance, better power management, and a way for the
| industry to free itself from a slavish devotion to sheer clock speed.
`----

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news/2007/08/multicore?currentPage=all

Related:

GNU/Linux is the most power-efficient OS on Intel hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a keynote given at OSCON, Intel's PowerTOP application has
| allowed developers to get a close-up view of what is sucking power in a
| GNU/Linux system. Apparently they've gotten so much feedback and patches that
| they've been able to extend battery life by an hour since the first release,
| making GNU/Linux the best OS for power saving.
`----

http://digg.com/linux_unix/GNU_Linux_is_the_most_power_efficient_OS_on_Intel_hardware

Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
| Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
| Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
| up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html?track=sy184
http://tinyurl.com/38cge3

Where's The Software To Catch Up To Multicore Computing?

,----[ Quote ]
| A look at the Top500 Supercomputer Sites List (www.top500.org) shows
| that a large portion of the technical computing workload has moved
| to commodity Linux clusters: commodity servers, commodity
| networks and commodity storage
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197001130

SMP and Embedded Real Time

,----[ Quote ]
| Because not all embedded systems vendors will be willing or able
| to create or purchase SMP real-time operating systems, we can
| expect that a number of them will make use of Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| I hope I have convinced you that the -rt patchset greatly
| advances Linux's parallel real-time capabilities, and that Linux
| is quickly becoming capable of supporting the parallel real-time
| applications that are appearing in embedded environments.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9361

Multi-Core Processors Challenging Traditional Software Pricing Models

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061009/18110_id.html?.v=1n