Re: Bill Gates Buys Media, Media Attacks Microsoft Rival with FUD

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer
<spam@xxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:39:33 +0100
<m73eq4-erm.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
>
>> What bugs me where I live is all the *humongous* SUVs.
>
> We have that problem here too. It's called being a "poser".

Gotta love some of the commercials around here, suggesting
that the SUV might take the erstwhile camper or hiker to
his camping or hiking grounds.

I suspect most of them never leave the city streets.

To be fair, one can only stuff so many young baseball
players into a Volkswagen Beetle (either one)... :-)
However, if one is routinely driving 8 tykes to the field
one has to wonder why the parents of all 8 children need
such a behemoth (though it *is* more efficient to drive
8-in-1 than 1-in-8, if the kids live near enough to each
other -- though ideally, "rent-a-bus" would be used,
instead).

> And it's not just the shear waste of their money on a vehicle that is
> completely OTT for what they'll use it for (it's their money to waste),
> but as you say, it causes both safety and convenience issues for other
> drivers. These behemoths also guzzle more fuel (but then American's have
> always had a penchant for that), thus tipping the environment further
> into its death spiral (to borrow an infamous Microsoft expression).
>
> In my day it was souped-up rust-buckets with go-faster stripes and
> rebored cylinders. SUVs are just the latest boy-racer fad.

I'm not so sure "boy" is the operative word here;
presumably a fair number of "soccer moms" buy them for the
safety aspect, thus creating a variant of "arms race"
(biggest car wins in a crash, for the most part!).

Were everyone to drive one-seater three-wheeled
battery-powered minicars, we'd be safe enough -- until an
18 wheeler gets involved, anyway.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #12398234:
void f(char *p) {char *q = strdup(p); strcpy(p,q);}