Re: [News] Slashdot: Microsoft-BBC Corruption Approaching Collpase?

[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:

>> BBC's iPlayer's Prospects Looking Bleak
>
> Although I'd much prefer an unencumbered Free Software solution without
> DRM; if it comes down to a choice between an encumbered, proprietary,
> Microsoft solution with DRM, or no service at all, then I'd take the "no
> service" option. In fact I'd rather see an end to television
> broadcasting completely, than have Microsoft control the media.

The BBC do not need this approach, and never did.  They already have
realplayer video streams for many things, and also had some ogg streams
up and running some time ago.  They also have their own, very excellent,
Dirac codec, internally developed.  Unfortunately, when you have fools
in charge, they tend to believe that there's "magic" in black boxes,
which there is not.

Further, as everyone here has a licence, all they need do is validate
against licence details and then you should be able to have whatever you
want.

> The current state of broadcast media in the UK is horrendous. We're
> boxed in between that filthy little Oz Murdoch on one side, and Sweaty
> the Impaler on the other. It's analogous to being gang-raped in prison.

Murdoch is a yank now, like Ballmer.