Re: [News] Comparison of Linux Distibutions Boot Time

____/ Peter Köhlmann on Sunday 26 August 2007 00:39 : \____

http://francis.giannaros.org/blog/2007/08/23/comparing-distribution-boot-times/

>>> yum-updatesd (initscript) adds a good 10 seconds to the Fedora 7 boot
>>> time. I've disabled it on my systems, since I only do updates on a once
>>> a week schedule.
>>
>> The test was done by an OpenSUSE fan, mind you, so it's likely to be
>> biased in one way or another. I ought to have mentioned this. He has been
>> posting a lot of comments in BN.com to 'bring balance'.
>>

> Actually, OpenSUSE 10.3 boots faster than all other versions before.
> They have done some work on the init system, and it shows
> I have set up a test system with the Beta1, and it looks quite good
>
> Not that it is really significant if a system boots in 27 seconds or one
> minute. After all, you do it once per day at most

True. I know they were working on improving this (link at the bottom of the OP,
among others that were posted in the past), but I'm just sure that something
out there is light enough to beat it and the way you compare boot time can be
tweaked in a black-art form. For instance, by changing the hardware you would
get different rankings.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Play Othello: http://othellomaster.com
Swap:  1510068k total,   618868k used,   891200k free,    60984k cached