[News] Whitebox Routers -- Just Add Linux/BSD

  • Subject: [News] Whitebox Routers -- Just Add Linux/BSD
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 14:01:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Compact x86 box targets custom routers

,----[ Quote ]
| OSes supported initially on the HL-463 include Linux -- Debian, Fedora,
| and "others" -- and the BSDs, including Free-, Open-, and Net-BSD variants.

Q&A: Vyatta CEO on open-source networking

,----[ Quote ]
| Since it launched its first open-source routing platform late last year,
| Vyatta has sold multiple deployments worth more than $100,000 each. Vyatta
| chief executive Kelly Herrell said these yields are a sworn testimony to the
| willingness of enterprise to aggressively leverage open source.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=545E09A1-B31B-462F-BFBD-0934BFA78257

How Compaies Save Money using Midrange Linux Routers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux operating system is a key technology that is transforming the
| midrange router market. Linux is a great router operating system (OS), but
| most big-name manufacturers like Cisco still use old proprietary technology
| like IOS that is over a decade old.
`----

http://www.telephonyworld.com/cgi-bin/training/viewnews.cgi?category=all&id=1184977008

Hyperic Joins Vyatta Ready Partner Program and Expands Open-Source Networking
Ecosystem

,----[ Quote ]
| Vyatta, the leader in Linux-based networking, today announced that
| Hyperic, the leader in multi-platform, open-source systems management,
| has joined the Vyatta Ready partner program.
`----

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070626005513&newsLang=en#0394735271148521978
http://tinyurl.com/2s2gce

Datatrend Technologies to Integrate Vyatta Open-Source Networking on IBM
Hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| Vyatta, the leader in Linux-based networking, today announced that
| Datatrend Technologies, an IBM Business Partner specializing in
| data center optimization for more than 20 years, has joined the
| Vyatta Ready partner program and will distribute Vyatta's
| open-source networking software as a fully integrated appliance
| using IBM System x and BladeCenter servers.
`----

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070620005025&newsLang=en#2053411798258883839

Partner Progam: Vyatta Partner Program To Accelerate Adoption Of Open-Source
Networking

,----[ Quote ]
| "Developing our Vyatta Ready partner program is an important step in
| the rapid growth of our global partner ecosystem, which we believe
| will make our Linux-based networking solution a standard fixture
| in growing networks and data centers around the world," said Keith
| Hartley, vice president of alliances at Vyatta.
`----

http://www.itreselleronline.com/content/news/article.asp?docid=ffc059ac-bca4-4d4a-bc27-de0e3b34a69c&atc~c=771+s=773+r=001+l=a&VNETCOOKIE=NO

Open source and secret sauce

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source router outperforming Cisco device in test revives the
| "commodity" vs. "special purpose" debate
|
| [...]
|
| Marketing trumped technology, however. Competitors would say "you don't
| want to trust your network to a PC" -- even though it really wasn't a PC.
| And FUD prevailed. Today we can expect to hear the same comments made in
| reference to open source. Will they work this time?
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/2007/041107tolly.html?fsrc=rss-ibm

Comcast invests in Vyatta, open source router maker

,----[ Quote ]
| The company has raised a total of $18.5 million so far. The
| investment indicates that cable carriers are getting serious
| about chasing the small and medium sized businesses, and
| competing with the telephone companies in more than just
| consumer markets.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2007/04/01/vyatta-comcast/

Free Linux router distro gains sophisticated QoS

,----[ Quoye ]
| A small, Linux router distribution for x86 has added QoS
| (quality-of-service) management features claimed capable of
| classifying packets regardless of port. The 1.0.beta4 release
| of Zeroshell now includes QoS software from the open source
| "L7-filter" project, along with a QoS management interface.
|
| Zeroshell is available as a live CD or bootable CompactFlash
| (512MB) image. It includes a Web-based user interface, and
| supports many advanced features; see our earlier coverage
| for specifics.

Vyatta Delivers Twice the Performance of Cisco at Half the Price

,----[ Quote ]
| Vyatta today announced the release of independent third-party testing
| results from The Tolly Group that measured the throughput and
| performance of the open-source, x86-based Vyatta router and
| firewall appliance versus the proprietary Cisco 2821 ISR.
|
| "This report shatters the myth that proprietary hardware products
| are a better choice than standard x86-based systems for network
| infrastructure," said Dave Roberts, VP of strategy and marketing
| at Vyatta. "For the majority of routing applications, open-source
| software and x86-based hardware can easily address the performance
| requirements and at significantly lower price points."
`----

http://www.topix.net/content/prweb/2794294903426800112404643709233288209670

Will an open source router replace your Cisco router?

,----[ Quote ]
| By using VMware, I was able to get this new router up in less than 30
| minutes--as promised by the evaluation guide. In fact, half of that time
| came from downloading the file. In addition, I ended up reading some of the
| guide to learn the default login and the basics of the user interface.
|
| In my opinion, Vyatta shows a lot of promise. While I'm not recommending
| throwing out Cisco routers in favor of Vyatta just yet, spending 30 minutes
| to familiarize yourself with what it can do is a smart idea.
`----

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-6163569.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=tr
http://tinyurl.com/37zkvp

Open source router on par with Cisco, users say

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1218088,00.html