Re: [News] Anti-Firefox Campaign Launched, Uses Stereotypes

Oldtech <me@xxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> waterskidoo wrote:
>> On 2007-08-21, Kier <vallon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> This whole troll/zealot/shill thing is just getting really stupid. I'm
>>> sick of reading shill this and troll that. The real issues get brushed
>>> aside while people sling these foolish labels about.
>>
>> It seems to be a constant sub-thread process that is running all
>> the time.
>>
>>> When I first came here, I thought there were some pretty strange types in
>>> COLA, but it never affected my attitude toward the community in general,
>>> nor of Linux, at least, not by much. Maybe if a person only frequents
>>> COLA, never reads Linux magazines or reputable sites and doesn't know any
>>> other Linux users, COLA might make a worse impression on them than it
>>> should.
>>
>> My work has me interfacing with tech type people and I come in
>> contact with Linux users all the time. Most have never heard
>> of this group and to date I have not met a single one who
>> outwardly appears to be on some mission to convert the world
>> to Linux or who has the deep hatred for anything Microsoft
>> that I see here.
>>
>>> Most newsgroups, unfortunately, have their share of dickheads.
>>
>> Especially advocacy groups. It comes with the turf.
>>
>>> I don't see much wrong with that as an opinion. Many may disagree that
>>> it's a good thing, but that doesn't mean everyone's going to think it's
>>> wrong. And what if they do? That's what newsgroups are for - exchange of
>>> viewpoints.
>>
>> I have no problem with other opinions as well which however when
>> it appears obvious that for some of these people it' their
>> way or the highway, then it starts to become strange.
>>
>>> Not necessarily, provided there are enough good, genuine advocates around
>>> to balance out the loons (on both sides). We need to focus on Linux and
>>> stop beating on MS and Windows quite so much, though.
>>
>> But that's the point. The radicals seem to scream much louder
>> which is fine because at some point it becomes entertainment
>> instead of advocacy.
>>

>>> True, but that kind of behaviour is not confined to the Linux side, don't
>>> forget.
>>
>> To be honest, I see very little Windows hyping in this group
>> by the so called trolls. There isn't much "Windows is better"
>> posting going on as far as I can see.
>>
>> As for having an opinion, sure I'd like to see everything
>> open source. I'd love to see say Nvidia open up it's
>> specs and software to the community but it's not going to
>> happen. I'm a realist, not a pie in the sky type.
>>

> Sadly, the closed source nVidia driver for Linux distros opens a huge
> gaping security hole, and right now, nVidia is fighting the backlash
> from Gentoo users, while tons of us either use the Open Source (limited
> performance - no 3D features) Open Source driver, or, we use competitor
> products that we can control.
>
> At the retail level, a consumer doesn't care whether or not the maker
> [...]

You just got trolled.  I don't think she gives a monkey's about whether
a driver is open or closed-source, rather, she just wants to continue to
troll for responses here.

You can provide all the evidence you like, including the appalling
quality record of proprietary software, but it won't make any
difference.  She'll call it "cherry picking" or some similar nonsense.

Do the decent thing - don't feed the trolls!