Re: [News] Anti-Firefox Campaign Launched, Uses Stereotypes

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:58:34 +0000, waterskidoo wrote:

> On 2007-08-21, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Like you, I used to flirt with some trolls whose past (as in history) in this
>> newsgroup I did not know. Examples included Larry Qualig.  I later realised
>> how silly that was. You're offending the wrong person here.
>
> I call them like I see them Roy. The good the bad and the crazy.
> My opinion is that people with way over the top paranoia just
> hurt the Linux cause. Outsiders make fun of them and real Linux
> advocates get upset because these kind of people/posts just
> further the reputation the Linux community has for being
> tin foil types.
> There is even a cartoon series about it:
> http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.11.26.101258.24.html
>
> His comment about me not choosing a side which means I am on
> the wrong side says it all.
> If you don't agree with a zealot, you are branded a troll.

This whole troll/zealot/shill thing is just getting really stupid. I'm
sick of reading shill this and troll that. The real issues get brushed
aside while people sling these foolish labels about.

> I really don't care one way or the other because it is he
> that looks like a fool.
>
> Consider this, a person stumbling into this group for the first
> time. What will this person think when he starts reading all
> of these conspiracy theories, boycott this that and the other
> thing, the hate for freespire/linspire, novel, zen etc.

When I first came here, I thought there were some pretty strange types in
COLA, but it never affected my attitude toward the community in general,
nor of Linux, at least, not by much. Maybe if a person only frequents
COLA, never reads Linux magazines or reputable sites and doesn't know any
other Linux users, COLA might make a worse impression on them than it
should.

Most newsgroups, unfortunately, have their share of dickheads.

> What will they think when they see a person posting
> messages claiming there is no such thing as intellectual
> property and how companies should give away their proprietary
> knowledge for the good of the world?

I don't see much wrong with that as an opinion. Many may disagree that
it's a good thing, but that doesn't mean everyone's going to think it's
wrong. And what if they do? That's what newsgroups are for - exchange of
viewpoints.

> They are going to think this group and the Linux community
> are out out their minds, that's what they are going to think.

Not necessarily, provided there are enough good, genuine advocates around
to balance out the loons (on both sides). We need to focus on Linux and
stop beating on MS and Windows quite so much, though.

> While some of this stuff may have merit, ODF for example,
> the hate and narrow minded attitudes that spew forth from
> some of the so called Linux advocates is shameful and
> does nothing positive for Linux.

True, but that kind of behaviour is not confined to the Linux side, don't
forget.

--
Kier