Re: [News] Debian GNU/Linux Celebrates Birthday

____/ Linonut on Monday 20 August 2007 21:08 : \____

> After takin' a swig o' grog, [H]omer belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Ian Murdock in 2007:
>>
>> http://ianmurdock.com/
>>
>> Funny, I don't see any mention of Debian's 14th birthday at all.
>>
>> It's understandable that he forgot, I suppose. I'd imagine he's too busy
>> to keep track of trivial things like this little hobby, after all it
>> must be a hell of a lot of work trying to get Solaris to actually work.
>
> I'm sure he's been busy getting briefed by Jörg.

I used to think that OpenSolaris is more than a friend to Linux than a foe.
Kernel developers made me realise it was not the case. There is probably some
competition on the way. 10 years ago, Windows and Linux were gnawing on UNIX.
In years to come it might be 'open source UNIX' (OpenSolaris) and Linux eating
the lunch of Longhorn (Jim Allchin: "Longhorn is a pig and I don't see a
solution to this") and UNIX.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Anonymity - established 2001, Google Groups
Mem:    515500k total,   407256k used,   108244k free,     5240k buffers