[News] Apple TV No Challenge to GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Apple TV No Challenge to GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:41:04 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Apple TV is tanking

| When the MacIntellytosh was first released, the tame US trade press claimed
| that The Blessed Steve Jobs had built another winner. They were certain of
| this fact because Steve told them so and he would not invite them to another
| Apple shindig unless they agreed.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/10/apple-tv-tanking

Who funded this study? One has to wonder. Whose interest would it be?

Related:

Linux is de facto OS for TV set-top boxes

,----[ Quote ]
| "The major chipset manufacturers are introducing new Linux platforms
| almost monthly," said Ken Helps, managing director of Ocean Blue Software.
|
| The attraction is that the Linux operating system will support
| advanced functions without requiring a license fee.
`----

http://www.edn.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6426925&partner=eb&spacedesc=news
http://tinyurl.com/2zofx9

Apple TV Hacked to use an external USB drive

,----[ Quote ]
| You’ll need one external USB drive, an Intel Mac or Intel-based Linux/Unix
| system and also SSH enabled on your Apple TV, so you can “dial in” over the
| network.
`----

http://diveintoosx.org/apple-tv/2007/apple-tv-hacked-to-use-an-external-usb-drive/

MythTV on AppleTV

,----[ Quote ]
| For general discution and testing of getting MythTV running on the AppleTV.
`----

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/MythTV

AppleTV could the perfect MythTV Frontend

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple's new AppleTV sounds like the perfect hardware to use for a
| MythTV Frontend, or other similar device. It's an Intel based device
| that includes a 40GB hard drive and a high end selection of video out
| ports. I'd venture a guess that it probably has a MPEG decoding chip
| hiding in there as well.
|
| Linux (and mythfrontend) are crying out to be loaded onto this device.
`----

http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/AppleTV/linux.html

The trouble with Apple TV

,----[ Quote ]
| That's the problem with hyping a product before it comes out. It's
| bound to disappoint no matter how good it is, and if it isn't quite
| as good as advertised, well, I suppose we'll be surprised by some
| other cool thing.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/06/11/100060835/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote
http://tinyurl.com/26na4l

Microsoft patents Tivo for commercial breaks

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has patented the idea of inserting fresh advertisements
| into old recordings on personal video recorders, to ensure you see
| today's ads even if you're watching a recording from last week.
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7946&Itemid=1063

Linux is running on APPLE TV

,----[ Quote ]
| I've got the linux kernel booting on my Apple TV. It was not easy,
| but after reading over the information on how they got it workin on
| the mac mini, I was finally able to figure out how to make it work
| on the ATV also.
|
| There are sevral changes that need to be made to the lilo bootloader
| just to get it to boot the kernel. It does not boot fully into linux
| yet, but it gets pretty far before giving a kernel panic. There are
| still a lot of drivers missing that will need to be compiled in to
| get it to boot up all the way, but this is a start.
`----

http://www.appletvbbs.com/showthread.php?t=61

Apple TV hacked already

,----[ Quote ]
| Enthusiasts from Something Awful forum were annoyed by the general
| lack of third party movie support for Apple's latest product, Apple
| TV - and went on to create something useful with it. Awkward and
| Sabretooth modified Apple's little box and got it working with
| Xvid files with no problems.

Mvix: An Apple TV Alternative

,----[ Quote ]
| The people over at Mvix, makers of the Mvix MX-760HD (a Linux-based
| wireless media center), have done a comparison of their product and
| the gadget of the moment, the Apple TV.
`----

http://theappleblog.com/2007/03/23/mvix-an-apple-tv-alternative/

Are you all set for HDTV? Mysteries of set-top boxes

,----[ Quote ]
| As I noted here a couple of weeks ago, current top-of-the-line offerings from
| cable and satellite providers are really computers, with an operating system
| (usually Linux), built-in programming, plus hard drives and memory and
| networking.
`----

http://www.latimes.com/technology/ny-bzdolinar095492695dec09,1,4787622.column?coll=la-utilities-technology&ctrack=1&cset=true
http://tinyurl.com/2q6ynr

Linux STB used in award-winning eldercare product

,----[ Quote ]
| Dutch telecom operator and Internet service provider KPN has
| bestowed an award for innovation on DataBalk's ZorgTV
| ("CareTV" in English) product. The product is based on
| Amino's Linux-based Aminet110 set-top box (pictured at
| left), and aims to help elderly people "stay independent"
| longer, according to DataBalk.

IP-STB runs Linux, supports USB-based descrambler

,----[ Quote ]
| The AccessKey Home IP-STB is optionally available with an "AccessKey
| USB" storage device, that appears to resemble a USB-based cable card.
| It may also include a bootable Linux-based OS.

The Google Set-Top Box (Think Android For TV)

,----[ Quote ]
| Google may very well want to do to the set-top box what it is trying to do to
| the mobile phone with its Android operating system—create an open-source
| hardware platform and attract developers to build applications on top of it.
| At least that is the unconfirmed rumor I’ve heard from two knowledgeable
| industry sources.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/11/20/the-google-set-top-box-think-android-for-tv/

Now that your TV is a computer

,----[ Quote ]
| It is also a computer that runs Linux, the free open-source operating system.
| I know because it crashed once, and I got a command prompt. (Plus, the Dish
| people have Linux programming code posted on their Web site, as they're
| supposed to under the open-source license.) Since it is a computer, it can be
| upgraded. And it's been getting upgraded like crazy.
`----

http://www.newsday.com/technology/ny-bzdolinar1118,0,866932.column

European Operators Select Motorola's Linux-Based IP Set-Tops For IPTV
Services

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola announced that it has been selected by two leading
| telecommunications providers to supply its Linux-based VIP range of
| IP set-tops for IPTV services.
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/284402_p.htm

Electronics firms plan Internet televisions

,----[ Quote ]
| The new televisions will use Linux operating systems instead of
| Microsoft Windows, it added. That feature is aimed at cutting the time
| needed to boot up and reducing the risk of virus infection.
`----

http://www.rawstory.com/news/2006/Parody_of_Al_Gore_Film_tied_0803.html#comments

TV Makers to Collaborate on Internet TV Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| The new sets reportedly will be based on the Linux operating system.

| The Japanese consumer electronics companies aim to develop
| broadband-enabled televisions that can download and display videos from
| the internet wihtout the need for a separate set-top box or computer.
|
| They plan to establish a common standard for aspects of internet TV,
| based on a Linux operating system.
`----

http://informitv.com/articles/2006/08/05/internettvplans/

PS3 + Linux + Firefox = Office 2.0 computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony and a technology site are using a conference to show off a confluence of
| next-generation, monopoly-bypassing technology: a Sony Playstation 3
| videogame console running Linux and Firefox as a foundation for
| Web-based "Office 2.0" applications.
|
| IT|Redux, a site run by blogger and tech adviser Ismael Ghalimi, is showing
| off the system at the Office 2.0 Conference in San Francisco. IT|Redux is the
| show organizer.
`----

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9772115-1.html

Java and Linux based IPTV kit and PVR from Amino showcased

,----[ Quote ]
| The Amino software is based on open standards such as Linux and Java,
| and Javascript and Java APIs are provided so that third party software
| and devices can interface with the set top box functions. Software
| updates can be delivered remotely using a signed software image
| authorised by the IPTV service provider. The multicast software on
| the head-end also runs on Linux.

PS3 available pre-installed with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| TerraSoft is now taking direct pre-orders with no delivery
| time guarantees for a Sony PS3 pre-installed with Linux,
| priced at $650.

Microsoft blamed for AT&T TV hiccups

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has a spotty history on the gogglebox. In 1997 it
| spent about $425m to purchase WebTV Networks but failed to
| make the much-hyped phenomenon a success.

AT&T Resumes Rollout for Cable TV

,----[ Quote ]
| But because the software, provided largely by Microsoft Corp., has never
| been deployed on such a large scale, assorted glitches have forced AT&T to
| repeatedly delay and scale back the service rollout even though the
| required network upgrade remains on pace.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070228/at_t_tv.html?.v=2

Windows Media center crashining at CES 2005

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j7EEbokKLHI

Verizon takes over Microsoft TV code

,----[ Quote ]
| Unhappy over the memory footprint of applications and delays in rolling
| them out, Verizon has ditched some of Microsoft's television software and
| has chosen instead to write its own.

Microsoft shuns IPTV open standards - is a web TV format war brewing?

,----[ Quote ]
| As if consumers didn't have enough to contend with, the fact
| Microsoft and Alcatel-Lucent have shunned the Open IPTV Forum
| could mean we'll have another ludicrous format war on our hands.

SageTV shows love for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Fortunately, one of the big names in DVR software, SageTV, has
| been supporting Linux for some time now (there are also other
| Linux-friendly DVR apps, such as MythTV). Sage is now offering a Linuxe
| dition of SageTV 5, including the add-on Placeshifter app, which we
| looked at when it was released for PCs back in April.
`----

http://reviews.cnet.com/4531-10921_7-6625067.html

FiOS TV and MSFT: When End-to-End Becomes Best of Breed

,----[ Quote ]
| Quoting: "With the project in danger of running behind schedule, Verizon
| sent its own employees to oversee the work between Microsoft and Motorola.
| Engineers from all three companies had several meetings a day to nudge
| the project along. Eventually, Verizon took over the development of the
| program guide altogether from Microsoft, and ended up writing a new
| version of the software that was less memory-intensive."
`----

http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/laszlo/archives/017055.html

MSNTV2 cluster using Linux!

,----[ Quote ]
| These MSNTVs can be networked together to distribute tasks. The great
| thing about them which made it easier for Niacin was the fact that the
| MSNTV2 had normal PC hardware with a proprietary BIOS. Here's a picture
| of the MSNTV being flashed to run Linux.
`----

http://gadgets.qj.net/MSNTV2-cluster-using-Linux-/pg/49/aid/66787

Vista testers get unexpected holiday gift: No TV

,----[ Quote ]
| Some people testing Microsoft's Windows Vista got an unexpected
| holiday surprise: their TVs stopped working.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6147259.html

Nortel not the only winner at Telus IPTV deal

,----[ Quote ]
| But now it is back as the main contractor in an IPTV deal at Telus - a move
| that sees the Alcatel system thrown out or sidelined, the Microsoft Alcatel
| partnership that is dominating tier one telcos, snubbed, and a number of
| the small fry of the IPTV market getting access to the tasty 5.5m Telus
| customers this system is aimed at.
|
| [...]
|
| Faultline gave a heads up about this contract in May, when we heard that
| Microsoft's solution was internally rejected.
|
| [...]
|
| "To facilitate the rapid adoption of additional third party applications
| as they emerge, it is imperative that the environment be open and
| standards-based."
|
| The significance of this contract is that all the big guns from
| Microsoft, Alcatel, Lucent and Siemens were in the bidding and fell by
| the wayside and that Nortel was able to leverage its strength as an
| IP player.
|
| [...]
|
| If that results in any new business for Cisco then acquisition of
| Minerva can't be too improbable, and then it would own an end to end
| IPTV system, with or without Microsoft middleware.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/24/nortel_telus_iptv_deal/

Ex-MS security guru to dump Media Center for Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Veteran Microsoft security expert, Jesper Johansson, says he may dump
| Microsoft's Windows Media Center in favour of Ubuntu-affiliated LinuxMCE
| after struggling with Redmond's DRM (Digital Rights Management) software.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Ex-MS-security-guru-dumps-Media-Center-for-Linux/0,130061733,339282399,00.htm
http://tinyurl.com/34as9b

Windows Media Center Restricts Cable TV