Re: [Rival] Did CompUSA Collapse Because of Windows Vista

____/ bobbie on Sunday 09 December 2007 02:55 : \____

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/what_would_you_pay_for_v...http://tinyurl.com/3a2cvz

>> Currys group blames Vista for poor sales
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | DSG, the group behind Currys and PC World, has warned that poor sales of
>> | Vista could slash its profits by around £20 million.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/131507/currys-group-blames-vista-for-poor...
>>

> Well, I thought that Microsoft couldn't do anything wrong. I thought
> that anything that Ballmer and Allchin touched turned to gold.
>
> See, this is what gets me about all of the Windows fan boi's and the
> Linux detractors. No matter how botched up Vista is they'll never
> admit it. No matter how many hundreds of millions of dollars that
> Microsoft flushed down the toilet developing Vista ...

Didn't you hear that they have begun hacking on XP now? Yes, they are getting
back to basics. Another project of theirs (announced weeks ago) strives to
reduce kernel footprint. In a sense, Microsoft is scraping some work, but it
won't admit its mistakes (that would damage sales immediately). It's looking
at units like Eee (running Ubuntu+Compiz Fusion at full framerate), even OLPC
which has had an orders surge. Remember that the more orders, the cheaper it
gets. It makes Microsoft nervous.

> ... and how many more
> hundreds of millions of dollars thay spent advertising and how much
> arm wringing they applied to distributors to stock Vista is
> anticipation of the hordes storming the ramparts to upgrade to Vista,
> they'll trash Linux instead.
>
> Sure, Linux has flaws, but at least Linux doesn't have the advertising
> or PR firms to hide and bury the flaws while attacking other OSes

Apple is excellent when it comes to hiding its flaws. It was even caught
witch-hunting researchers.

> I'll definitely have to arrange to make some trips south of the border
> just after Christmas. I'll have to see what my Canadian dollars will
> score me at one of the closing CompUSA's

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "No, I didn't buy that from eBay"
Tasks: 123 total,   1 running, 122 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie