Re: [Rival] Did CompUSA Collapse Because of Windows Vista

  • Subject: Re: [Rival] Did CompUSA Collapse Because of Windows Vista
  • From: bobbie <bobbiewg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 18:55:18 -0800 (PST)
  • Complaints-to: groups-abuse@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Dec 8, 1:18 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> CompUSA to close all of its 103 stores
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The consumer electronics store will run store-closing sales during the
> | holidays to get rid of inventory.
> `----
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2007/12/07/technology/compusa.ap/index.htm?postv...
>
> Joe Wilcox said that Vista just wouldn't sell. It's not just CompUSA (more
> examples below). Microsoft stuffed the channel and killed it for vanity
> figures.
>
> Related:
>
> What Would You Pay for Vista?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | But the store had scads of Windows Basic (aka Home Basic) upgrades
> | which just weren't moving very fast, even at $59.95.
> `----
>
> http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/vista/what_would_you_pay_for_v...http://tinyurl.com/3a2cvz
>
> Currys group blames Vista for poor sales
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | DSG, the group behind Currys and PC World, has warned that poor sales of
> | Vista could slash its profits by around £20 million.
> `----
>
> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/131507/currys-group-blames-vista-for-poor...

Well, I thought that Microsoft couldn't do anything wrong. I thought
that anything that Ballmer and Allchin touched turned to gold.

See, this is what gets me about all of the Windows fan boi's and the
Linux detractors. No matter how botched up Vista is they'll never
admit it. No matter how many hundreds of millions of dollars that
Microsoft flushed down the toilet developing Vista and how many more
hundreds of millions of dollars thay spent advertising and how much
arm wringing they applied to distributors to stock Vista is
anticipation of the hordes storming the ramparts to upgrade to Vista,
they'll trash Linux instead.

Sure, Linux has flaws, but at least Linux doesn't have the advertising
or PR firms to hide and bury the flaws while attacking other OSes

I'll definitely have to arrange to make some trips south of the border
just after Christmas. I'll have to see what my Canadian dollars will
score me at one of the closing CompUSA's