Re: [News] Novell in Serious S*** After Microsoft Deal

<posted & mailed>

____/ Jerry McBride on Saturday 08 December 2007 20:39 : \____

> God... this is so good...
>

>> Matt Asay:
>
>> Now, on the other hand, if you talk with Bruce Lowry or people in their PR
>> department, they?ll tell you ? maybe? maybe rightly so ? that these
>> aren?t? these aren?t signs of desperation? signs of intelligent recrafting
>> of the company. I?ve worked not that long at Novell? just 3 years, but I
>> saw quite a bit of intelligent recrafting while I was there, so I?m not a
>> big optimist that this is all gonna save the Novell world and life will be
>> grand.?
>>

> This is about as funny as it gets. Novell will reap what it sewed...

They'll probably phone Matt over this (and twist his arm again). He thought
that if he talks about it rather than write about it, then nobody will notice.

By the way, about the financial tricks, as I've stressed here many times,
Microsoft does that endlessly. Seattle P-I, which is close to Microsoft, said
that Microsoft lost half of its cash piles in just two years. No wonder,
especially given the fact that nobody has bought Windows or Office for many
years and Microsoft dumps freebies to compete with GNU/Linux (see the latest
item about Vista being like $200-300 cheaper than XP). It is the Microsoft
business model which they are now desperate to transform (renting software).
In a sense, Microsoft is like the music industry at the moment, but it knows
how to move the money between buckets in order to hide this. Refs below.

___

Ecuador Tax Agency Closes Microsoft Branch Offices For 7 Days

,----[ Quote ]
| "We have twice requested balances, payment reports and complete tax
| information, but the company hasn't given it to us, so in accordance with our
| laws we have proceeded with the closure," the SRI official in charge of the
| proceeding said.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200710041610DOWJONESDJONLINE000810_FORTUNE5.htm

Microsoft Office raid in Hungary

,----[ Quote ]
| "Such behavior could lead to the exclusion of competitive products from
| the market and violate European Union rules, according to the authority
| known as the GVH."
`----

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/07/26/ap3957835.html

Microsoft's past stock options practice poses questions

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft in 1999 announced that it would end a policy of awarding
| options at monthly lows and said it would take a $217 million charge,
| though many details of that discontinued practice haven't been widely
| known, The Wall Street Journal said Friday.
|
| Those details raise questions about how Microsoft began the practice,
| what prompted the company to end it and whether the way the options
| were dated--at 30-day lows the month after they were
| granted--influenced other companies, it said.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6084617.html

Microsoft Hides Its Mobile and Business Apps Divisions

,----[ Quote ]
| The company is folding its two worst-performing divisions -- Microsoft
| Business Solutions (its business applications unit) and its Mobile and
| Embedded units -- into the Microsoft Business Division and Microsoft Home
| and Entertainment units, respectively.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1990243,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

How Much is Too Much?

,----[ Summary ]
| Microsoft says it will stick with Xbox. But with years of heavy losses
| behind it, the pressure's on for the gaming division to make good
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/oct2006/id20061013_283856.htm?campaign_id=rss_topStories
http://tinyurl.com/yxdr4j

Microsoft stoic despite massive losses

,----[ Quote ]
| If you were to judge by the PR rhetoric, you'd think the 360 was
| an unstoppable commercial juggernaut. As usual though, PR lies.
`----

http://www.gamerscan.com/articles/06/10/09/microsofts.massive.losses/

A Dozen Stocks For '07

,----[ Quote ]
| Millen also thinks $36 billion in planned share buybacks
| will help the stock.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2006/12/05/stocks-markets-investing-pf-ii-cz_ag_1205stockpicks.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/yjzfbo

Microsoft counts on Vista to recharge stagnant stock

,----[ Quote ]
| There was a time in the 1990s when shares of Microsoft stock seemed to
| double every couple of years. 1996: college for the kids. 1998: a place
| on Whidbey. 1999: early retirement.
|
| Times have changed.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003437957_vista19.html

Commentary: Microsoft needs more than just buybacks to lift its shares

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft shares, which have been dormant for the last few years,
| have been looking up over the last couple months. The Dow industrials
| component has gained about 20% since hitting a 4-year low of $21.46 o
| June 13.
|
| To help move things along, Microsoft not only launched a $40 billion
| stock repurchase program that lasts through 2011, the company also said
| its previously announced 4-year, $30 billion stock buyback program was
| completed in just 2 years.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B685EFB89%2D5791%2D4E8B%2DAD6A%2D9688F5B6012A%7D&source=blq%2Fyhoo&dist=yhoo&siteid=yhoo

Options troubles aren't over for Apple

,----[ Quote ]
| But one of the accused -- former Chief Financial Officer Fred Anderson --
| pointed a finger at his former boss, Steve Jobs, raising new accusations
| that experts say could land Jobs in some legal hot water if true.
|
| [...]
|
| Gene Munster, a financial analyst at Piper Jaffray, said Anderson's
| accusations will fuel investors' worries over Jobs and his critical role in
| Apple's continued success.
|
| "It gives the appearance that, 'I had a partner in crime and it was Steve
| Jobs,'" Munster said.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070425/ap_on_hi_te/apple_stock_options

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Real E-mail -> Harvest -> Fraud -> Spammers profit