[News] Novell in Serious S*** After Microsoft Deal

  • Subject: [News] Novell in Serious S*** After Microsoft Deal
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 08:00:34 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Novell, Red Hat and Gartner war with Facebook for PR flop award

,----[ Quote ]
| The usual crew - me, Matt Asay and Dave Rosenberg - went after Novell in
| Episode 7. Then we went after Novell some more. And finished off the Novell
| bashing with some Novell bashing.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/07/open_season_seven/

Wow. Confirmation of 'funny business' (finance) and loss of talent. They also
try to shut Matt Asay up so that he doesn't talk about it (but he did, and I
put it all in text).

Quotes from the podcast:

Matt Asay: “Yeah, you notice that I’ve been really nice about Novell lately.
It’s… it’s because I kept getting calls from people in the company [Novell]
begg… asking me to be nice. Hmmm…No… I mean, so Novell had a few things.
They’ve gone through a major reorg… hmmm… they are aligning their sales force
with individual business units and as a result there are a lot of good people
that have been let go and… there are other good people that want to … let… let
go. I’ve had, from people whom I would consider the top 5% of the company,
I’ve had, I dunno… hmmm… maybe 10 of them last… 2 months that have E-mailed me
their resume, so I… it doesn’t bode well for Novell on that score.

Now, on the other hand, if you talk with Bruce Lowry or people in their PR
department, they’ll tell you — maybe… maybe rightly so — that these aren’t…
these aren’t signs of desperation… signs of intelligent recrafting of the
company. I’ve worked not that long at Novell… just 3 years, but I saw quite a
bit of intelligent recrafting while I was there, so I’m not a big optimist
that this is all gonna save the Novell world and life will be grand.”

[...]

Ashlee Vance: “And top of all this, we have Novell just today when we were
recording the broadcast they had to lay their 4th quarter earnings because of
a SEC probe.”

Matt Asay: “Well, I doubt, I tend… I don’t know who reported on that, but I saw
something where they say, you know, this probably isn’t due to Novell
massaging its numbers around Linux, which is what Dana Blakenhorn at ZDNet had
claimed, I mean, I can tell you absolutely for a verifiable fact for that
Novell does do that, but then again everybody does that. So… I’ve.. I’ve got
the sales guys at Novell telling me that, that they do this, but it just
doesn’t matter, I… I suspect that this is a tech… like a technicality that
Novell has run afoul of and not a big deal, but maybe I’ll.. maybe we’ll be
wrong, maybe I’ll be wrong, we should see.”

Ashlee Vance: “So you think people fudge the shipping numbers or they’re
fudging revenue numbers, I mean, reve..?”

Matt Asay: “No…no… no… no not… just saying that they are putting it into
different buckets. Ummm…like, some of that Linux revenue that Novell reports,
based on what I’ve heard from Linux inside the company, is not Linux revenue
by… by.., what are… reasonably prudently outside observer and what they would
say.”