Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

Tim Smith <reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What format were they in?  I've not bought any audio books through
> Apple, but from what I've read, most of their audio books actually come
> from audible.com (there are some exclusives that Apple has that
> audible.com does not have), and I've bought many from there.  Those are
> in audible's own format, which iPods, iTunes, and a variety of other
> music players can play.  Also, some phones and car GPS units can play
> them.

I think it was in m4p format.  I know that when I clicked on the option
to translate to another format, I was told it couldn't be done on
'protected' content.

> You might check--you might actually already have something that can play
> them that you didn't know about!

I found a utility from the maker of DeCSS that could supposedly link
to your iTunes account, use your unique key to decode the m4p, and
translate to mp3.  It looked like a PITA to get working, so I just
stream ripped the audio out from my Mac and saved it to mp3 for
listening in the car.

> If Apple's audible.com books are in a different format from those same
> books when purchased from audible.com, I'd suggest buying direct from
> audible.com.  You'll still have DRM, but a very large list of devices
> support it.

That might be a better option, especially if their DRM is more easily
digested by Linux.  So far, stuff from iTunes is the only content I've
had any trouble with on my Ubuntu system.

Thad