Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

On 2007-12-08, thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> While I agree with the sentiment, I've yet to see a DRM scheme that
> did anything more than inconvenience the user while do almost nothing
> to protect copyrights.  A prime example: I bought some audio books on
> I tunes for my trip to Connecticut.  Wanted to translate them to MP3
> to play on my portable on the way out, but of course Apple doesn't
> allow that.  I had to jump through major hoops to get them into a
> format that was useful.  I suppose Apple would like for me to buy an
> iPod to simplify things, but I'm more inclined to just not buy stuff
> from iTunes anymore.

What format were they in?  I've not bought any audio books through
Apple, but from what I've read, most of their audio books actually come
from audible.com (there are some exclusives that Apple has that
audible.com does not have), and I've bought many from there.  Those are
in audible's own format, which iPods, iTunes, and a variety of other
music players can play.  Also, some phones and car GPS units can play
them.

You might check--you might actually already have something that can play
them that you didn't know about!

If Apple's audible.com books are in a different format from those same
books when purchased from audible.com, I'd suggest buying direct from
audible.com.  You'll still have DRM, but a very large list of devices
support it.