Re: [News] ~4 Million Eee Laptops Expected to Reach Customers Next Year, Upgrades Made Easy

LENNY <lenny@xxxxxxx> espoused:

>> Asus says it'll ship 3.8 million Eee PCs next year
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | It's no secret that Asus has some big expectations for its low-cost Eee
>> PC,
>> | but it looks like the company is now getting a bit more specific on the
>> | matter, with it saying it expects to ship some 3.8 million of the
>> laptops in
>> | the next fiscal year.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/04/asus-says-itll-ship-3-8-million-eee-pcs-next-year/
>>

> I actually saw one of these in person the other day. It's kinda a cool
> little thing. (Emphasis on little.) Very light and portable. The screen is
> small but the resolution is good so it's easy to read. The biggest thing
> that I didn't like was the 'mouse button' they have. Instead of two
> individual switches for the L+R buttons there is only one switch that rocks
> to the left and right. Considering how (very) often this will get used it
> seemed a little cheap. Nit-picking I know but it's just a stupid little
> thing that for some reason bugged me because otherwise it was very cool.
>
> The eeeeee PC also had Open Office on it. Surprisingly OO starts very fast
> on this thing. My guess is about 8-seconds which is actually pretty darn
> good.

I've not had my hands on an eeeeee, but I've been able to play with an
XO machine.  The XO machine looks superb - kids will gravitate to it for
sure.  As you say, it's built to a budget, but that's to be expected I
suppose.

I'd like to buy an Eeee, but you can't seem to get them at the moment!