Re: [News] Nintendo Has Free Open Source Operating System, iPhone Unlock Might Go Open Source

<posted & mailed>

____/ Jerry McBride on Sunday 02 December 2007 18:46 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Related and very recent (and exciting!):
>>
>> Linux 3D graphics access on PS3 found
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | A method has been found to reach Linux 3D Graphics on the PS3. A number
>> | of hackers have clubbed together to release a draft kernel module for
>> | this along with a relevant Xorg driver.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=23190
>
> Fantastic. Now would be a good time for Sony to step up and opensource what
> they've been trying to hide. Also, this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt
> that DRM and PROPRIETARY have no logical meaning once you release it for
> public consumption.

A colleague of mine knows the PS2 fairly well and he told me that the PS2 is
based on UNIX/Linux, which I found odd (still finding it hard to believe).

Either way, the great demand for Linux in China and Japan (they use it a lot
but quietly in devices) has recently led to Chinese and Japanese translations
of the entire Linux kernel!!

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: the buttocks is the largest muscle
Swap:  1510068k total,   373776k used,  1136292k free,    66076k cached