[News] The New O/S is the Mobile O/S, Linux Impresses

  • Subject: [News] The New O/S is the Mobile O/S, Linux Impresses
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:13:11 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The year of the new mobile operating system

,----[ Quote ]
| 2007 could be called the year of the mobile operating system. Since Microsoft
| entered the scene around five years ago, the smartphone operating system
| industry has been fairly stable. Symbian, Linux, Research in Motion, and
| Windows Mobile make up the bulk of smartphone software, each to varying
| degrees of success in different regions.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071220/tc_infoworld/94131

The rise of smartphones/devices/appliances is of course great news to Linux,
which is ahead.

Getting Down and Dirty with Google's Android

,----[ Quote ]
| From purely a development standpoint, Android is a very powerful SDK. It
| combines XML layout schemes with custom view rendering and in house
| scrollbar, maps, and other in house widgets. All which can be overloaded and
| customized on the whim of a developer. Its documentation is rough; there are
| missing features and gaps in functionality (like SMS interop and a clear
| monetization plan), but overall Android looks very promising for what even
| Google acknowledges is a "First Look" SDK. Now we'll just have to see if
| anyone actually deploys a phone that uses it.
`----

http://www.devx.com/wireless/Article/36225

Related:

Google Android phone spotted, bests Win Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| The prototype phone Google has been using to demonstrate its Android mobile
| operating system has been spotted and reveals positive early developments for
| the Linux-based OS, according to a leak sent to Gizmodo. Virtually identical
| to the photo shown in official videos outside of its dark gray color, the
| full-keyboard smartphone’s version of the OS is reportedly very quick due to
| its light, Linux-based code; Windows Mobile by contrast is overly complex,
| the report says.
`----

http://www.latest-mobile.com/articles/smartphone/google-android-phone-spotted-bests-win-mobile_4443

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Funambol CEO Fabrizio Capobianco: Linux Is Mobile's Future

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxInsider met with Capobianco to discuss his view on the role of open
| source in creating Mobile 2.0 as a voice and data carrier parallel to the
| Internet. The meeting occurred in the wake of Google's announcement earlier
| this month that it was negotiating with wireless carriers, handset makers,
| software developers and hardware providers to use an open source mobile
| platform, Android.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/60340.html

What Android means for Apple, MS, open source, enterprises

,----[ Quote ]
| The GPhone never happened, but Android is a much more significant development
|
| [...]
|
| A better approach, argues Dan Kohn, COO of the Linux Foundation, is to pick
| one set of standards that IT will support for calendaring, email
| applications, VPN and so on, and tell users they can use any mobile phone
| compatible with those standards.
|
| [...]
|
| What Android means for open source and Linux
| Linux already has a major presence on mobile phones, but the entrance of
| Google and the Open Handset Alliance — which has 34 member organisations
| worldwide — adds to the momentum.
|
| "We're a huge believer in diversity of options on mobile phones," Kohn of the
| Linux Foundation says. "Linux is already an important, growing presence
| there. I think having the Google software as an additional open source option
| is only going to accelerate that adoption."
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/netw/D22188C825F8528FCC257394007BE16D

Cryptome: NSA has access to Windows Mobile smartphones

,----[ Quote ]
| First time in history Cryptome.org has released information about the
| characteristics of NSA’s network surveillance.
`----

http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1028

Reaching for Apple, Falling Short

,----[ Quote ]
| Frankly, Windows Mobile 6 is a mess. Common features require an infinitude of
| taps and clicks, and the ones you need most are buried in menus. Apparently
| the Windows Mobile 6 team learned absolutely nothing from Windows Mobile 1,
| 2, 3, 4 and 5.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/08/technology/personaltech/08pogue.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Windows Mobile flaws could crash phones

,----[ Quote ]
| A security firm has found a pair of security bugs in Microsoft's
| Windows Mobile which, if exploited, could crash phones and other
| devices running the software.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6155141.html

Trend Micro Finds More Windows Mobile Flaws

,----[ Quote ]
| Trend Micro has again discovered flaws related to Windows Mobile.
| Both of the newly found vulnerabilities are flaws in applications
| that ship by default with Microsoft?s mobile device OS.
`----

http://blog.trendmicro.com/trend-micro-finds-more-windows-mobile-flaws/

Microsoft shows its hand to stay in the mobile web war

,----[ Quote ]
| Repeatedly it has been asked of Microsoft, why not throw away Windows
| Mobile and build a new generation of software on top of the prevalent
| smart phone operating systems -- Symbian and Linux, or add Windows
| Mobile only as an afterthought?
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/06/microsoft_deepfish_mobile_browser/

Palm's Fat Hand

,----[ Quote ]
| Samsung' Blackjack and Motorola's Q, while easy on the eyes, are
| hampered by Microsoft's unintuitive Windows Mobile operating
| system.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/05/08/iphone-treo-palm-tech-wireless-cx_rr_0509palm.html?partner=yahootix

Vista-Windows Mobile 6.0 file-sync fix due in mid-June

,----[ Quote ]
| Even though Windows Vista has been out since January (or November,
| if you're a business customer), there are still products and applications
| -- including some from Microsoft itself -- that don't work with Vista.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=480

I'm breaking up with Windows Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| But tomorrow, I'm saying goodbye, or at least fare-well to my Windows
| Mobile days.
`----

http://onemanshouting.com/tech/2007/06/05/ImBreakingUpWithWindowsMobile.aspx

T-Mobile Wing Review

,----[ Quote ]
| With that said, Microsoft's Windows Mobile 6 is a disappointment.
| Working with a number of applications or "heavy" documents was
| painful. The delay was too much, especially in Word and PowerPoint
| files that it wasn?t possible for us to work with the device without
| messing up somewhere and not realizing it in the end. This lag is
| present across a number of other scenarios as well.
`----

http://www.cooltechzone.com/Departments/Featured_Story/T-Mobile_Wing_Review_200706042861/

HTC takes a gamble with new brand and OS strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite making gains in the enterprise and becoming a fairly robust
| and well recognized, if relatively minor, smartphone platform, Windows
| Mobile will clearly be just an element in the mobile picture, and
| probably a small one compared to Linux and the growing family of
| Java-oriented OSs like Symbian/Series 60 or Sun's new developments.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/18/htc_new_strategy/

Microsoft Hides Its Mobile and Business Apps Divisions

,----[ Quote ]
| The company is folding its two worst-performing divisions -- Microsoft
| Business Solutions (its business applications unit) and its Mobile and
| Embedded units -- into the Microsoft Business Division and Microsoft Home
| and Entertainment units, respectively.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1990243,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

How to crash a Windows mobile using MMS

,----[ Quote ]
| Security researchers have released proof-of-concept code that exploits
| vulnerabilities in MMS implementations in mobile phones running
| mobile versions of Windows.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/02/windows_mms_vuln/

70 percent of smartphones use Symbian

,----[ Quote ]
| At 3GSM it became clear that 70 percent of all smartphones use Symbian.
|
| Linux accounts for 16.9 percent of the smartphone market and only
| 4.6 percent uses Microsoft Windows Mobile.
`----

http://www.dvhardware.net/article17134.html

Microsoft doesn't deny Windows Mobile flaw

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has refused to deny that the most recent version of
| Windows Mobile leaves data poorly secured on handsets.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39284532,00.htm

Mobile Security, Virtualization on tap at MS Hacking Meet

,----[ Quote ]
| Plus, we've got a couple of talks on Windows Mobile and more about automated
| exploit creation-- this time using Metasploit."
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20070922/tc_pcworld/137478

Airscanner Vulnerability Summary: Windows Mobile Security Software Fails the
Test

,----[ Quote ]
| Since developers are not in a hurry to keep their users information
| secure... we feel compelled to publish - with exclusivity granted to us
| by author till August 21, 2006 - an article, that reveals various
| problems with Windows Mobile software from various software vendors!
| This article is a "must read" for any serious user of Windows Mobile...
`----

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/5474.html

Review of Windows Mobile 6.0 for PPC (Crossbow) operating system

,----[ Quote ]
| Regrettably, this world lacks miracles and this case is just another
| proof of that. The system still doesn?t offer support for several
| active windows in Internet Explorer, so that you are limited to a
| single window at a time, also profiles are missing in WM; the office
| applications haven?t been enhanced either. Nor were the multimedia
| tools. What the company has really got to do is keep on tuning
| Office Mobile, extending Windows Live, release Windows Media Mobile
| 11 and so on.
`----

http://www.mobile-review.com/pda/articles/wm-crossbow-en.shtml

Linux grabs 30% of China's fast-growing smartphone market

,----[ Quote ]
| China consumed 15 million smartphones in 2006, up from 10 million
| units in 2005, resulting in more than doubling of smartphone
| revenues, according to Chinese market research firm CCID Consulting
| Company. Symbian controlled 63.2 percent of the market, followed by
| Linux (30.3 percent) and Windows Mobile (5.4 percent).