[News] OLPC Culture Developers in the United States

  • Subject: [News] OLPC Culture Developers in the United States
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 19:10:28 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Seattle XO User Group Forming

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of us here in Seattle just couldn't wait for our OLPC laptops to arrive.
| Immediately after November 12th we decided to form an XO user group.
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/use_cases/user_groups/seattle_xo_user_group.html

XO Laptop Specs.. for those interested

,----[ Quote ]
| There is still time left in the Give One, Get One program if you have
| children that this would be a good tool for. Also, if you’d like to do
| development for the project it’d be a good fit. Remember, the Give One, Get
| One program donates one of these machines to a developing nation and also
| gives one to you. Now is the season for giving, right?
`----

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/12/19/xo-laptop-specs-for-those-interested/

Recent:

Birmingham might buy thousands of XO Laptop computers for students in grades
one through eight

,----[ Quote ]
| The machines don't run Microsoft Office, Photoshop or any other standard Mac
| or Windows programs, instead using a free, open-source version of GNU/Linux,
| with a simplified graphical interface designed for children called Sugar. The
| laptop has a 500-megahertz processor and 256 megabytes of DRAM (dynamic
| random access memory) with 1 gigabyte of flash memory. The laptops have Web
| browsers and their own Wi-Fi system, the ability to connect to the Internet
| wirelessly. Each is on a "mesh network," meaning all the laptops can see each
| other, without any setup, even if there is no wireless connection nearby.
`----

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1195463987242670.xml&coll=2&thispage=1

A Groklaw Member Gets His OLPC Laptop - It's Not Too Late To Order Yours

,----[ Quote ]
| Looks great to me. One thing's for sure. I'll never be able to hide out at
| tech conferences any more, if I bring a green XO laptop. We'll all instantly
| find each other.
|
| Hey, nothing wrong with that. Just don't give any to Darl and his merry
| men, 'kay?
|
| Actually, not to worry. They'd probably never be able to figure out how to
| get them open. Joke. Joke.

Old:

U.S. schools may join inexpensive laptop project

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN2642385520070426