[News] Free Software and GNU/Linux Code Help Mac Users

  • Subject: [News] Free Software and GNU/Linux Code Help Mac Users
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:43:38 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Advancing Software Reuse of Linux, Windows Code on the Mac

,----[ Quote ]
| One DIY solution on Linux is to use Wine, which is neither simple nor broadly
| capable of running everything, but can be very useful for certain
| applications in the hands of knowledgeable users with tempered expectations.
| The more consumer-oriented audience of Mac users is less likely to be happy
| with the current state of Wine; nobody could argue that Mac users
| have “tempered expectations.”
`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2007/12/17/advancing-software-reuse-of-linux-windows-code-on-the-mac/
http://tinyurl.com/2pvkfg

Yesterday:

Vista to Ubuntu (100%)

,----[ Quote ]
| I had enough with eating crap with Vista. My last line of patience warned off
| when I happened to wait about 5 seconds when changing from one MS Doc file to
| another and also happened that I was running with time to finish a project
| report. No, I’m not running on 256 ram, it’s 1 GB and this kind of a time
| wastage is totally unacceptable. You may ask why I put up with Vista in the
| first place. That’s thanks to HP’s decision to embrace Vista so my laptop was
| pre-built with Vista and no chance to downgrade because there are no drivers.
| So where to go now ? Easy….Gutsy.
|
| [...]
|
| But my worries were groundless as Wine now supports Macromedia 8 series like
| a babe. Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash all works perfectly with Wine -
| installation to Execution. Another great thing with Gutsy is that my Broadcom
| network card support is inbuilt and with some additional applications I can
| search networks and connect to them like a charm. Also I’m using AWN manager
| to manage desktop (here is a great article on desktop styling - thanks to
| Lakshan) and now it looks like a hybrid between Leopard and Vista. So what
| else I can ask for ?
`----

http://luckycala.wordpress.com/2007/12/16/vista-to-ubuntu-100/

Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/04/30/does-wine-linux-support-more-apps-than-vista/