Re: Call to Remove Mono/.NET/Patent Mess from Ubuntu GNU/Linux

On Dec 15, 1:19 pm, "[H]omer" <s...@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > ____/ cc on Saturday 15 December 2007 13:24 : \____
> >> So stop arguing about it. Stop posting about it. Start developing
> >> in Java. Download something else besides Ubuntu. Nothing about the
> >> inclusion of Mono forces anyone to develop .net code. If it's such
> >> a bad fucking thing, then don't use it. Freedom of choice.
>
> > I don't know if you're in a trollish mood today, but I'll just
> > respond by adding that Mono is increasingly being forcefed,
>
> Well if he actually *used* GNU/Linux rather than just bitched about it,
> then he'd know that it is becoming increasingly difficult to disentangle
> Mono from many distributions, including the one I've spent a good
> portion of my life supporting. Ubuntu is just the tip of the iceberg.
> Novell (de Icaza) is of course the wellspring from which this particular
> poison flows, which then taints Gnome, and so every distro that uses it
> (which is probably most of them).

Not every distro uses Gnome. You can remove Gnome and replace it with
whatever you want. Removing Mono is not a big deal. There are plenty
of distros where Mono isn't installed by default and you can always
install those. Sounds like there are plenty of options for avoiding
Mono completely. What we have are champions of open source adding Mono
to distributions. On the one hand, we have people like you and Roy and
criticizing de Icaza and calling him a Microsoft puppet. On the other
hand we have people who actually contribute to distros and make Linux
what it is including Mono in their distributions, including
Shuttleworth, who has not said very nice things about Microsoft
before, right Roy?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_thread/thread/4f8143edae79b7a9/11754d1175764eec?hl=en&lnk=st&q=mark+shuttleworth+microsoft#11754d1175764eec

> That "Freedom of choice", is rapidly diminishing down to just one of two
> options; use a prebuilt distro poisoned by Mono, or build your own from
> scratch. It isn't quite there yet, but it's coming. Soon.

What horseshit.