Re: Call to Remove Mono/.NET/Patent Mess from Ubuntu GNU/Linux

____/ cc on Saturday 15 December 2007 13:24 : \____

> On Dec 13, 10:29 pm, "[H]omer" <s...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
>>
>> > Perhaps keep it as an option, but maybe not included by default?
>> > Software patents do not apply outside of Nafta and Australia, so
>> > there's no particular issue for the rest of us.
>>
>> Other than the fact that .NET is utterly superfluous, supports part of
>> Microsoft's quest for continued domination, poisons the Free Software
>> community with Microsoft's broken development paradigm, dilutes Free
>> Software development resources by encouraging developers to waste time
>> bug-fixing Windows clients, divides the Free Software community into
>> partisan groups who waste time arguing about patents rather than
>> working, diverts development away from Java (just as it was designed to
>> do, as a slap in the face to Sun for their MS litigation, and a means of
>> "controlling" virtual machine technology, discouraging fully compatible
>> cross-platform development), and may (at some time in the future) help
>> to support Microsoft's claims of "IP infringement" in GNU/Linux (since
>> not *all* parties who develop with Mono can know *exactly* what is or is
>> not covered by the ECMA RAND "guarantee" - such as it is).
>>

> So stop arguing about it. Stop posting about it. Start developing in
> Java. Download something else besides Ubuntu. Nothing about the
> inclusion of Mono forces anyone to develop .net code. If it's such a
> bad fucking thing, then don't use it. Freedom of choice.

I don't know if you're in a trollish mood today, but I'll just respond by
adding that Mono is increasingly being forcefed, with de Icaza, a Microsoft
employee (fed by Novell, which is in turn fed by Microsoft), building
Moonlight and OOXML translators using it. He helps Microsoft makes those
anti-standards more commonplace so that people have to resort to Mono, which
is a patent timebomb (hello, hello... Novell has Mono 'protection', but you
have to pay Microsoft tax for SLED/S).

One person' diction is another's verbiage
roy      pts/2        cg093a.halls.man Sat Dec 15 08:43   still logged in