[News] Sun's PDF Renderer/Viewer Goes Free Open Source

  • Subject: [News] Sun's PDF Renderer/Viewer Goes Free Open Source
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 06:02:19 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Sun Releases Open Source 100% Java PDF Renderer/Viewer

,----[ Quote ]
| The SwingLabs PDF Renderer was originally written in 2003 by researchers at
| Sun Labs for an internal collaboration tool called Sun Labs Meeting Suite. It
| was originally targeted at output from OpenOffice, and so can support most
| OpenOffice PDF exports.
`----

http://java.sys-con.com/read/475617.htm

Sun is also making peace with an insulted and betrayed group:

Sun, ex-staffers in war of words over OpenDS project changes

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun's chief open source officer said the company restored the original
| governance policy of an open source directory project because the stewards of
| the project made unauthorized changes to it five months before they were
| surprisingly swept up in company-wide layoffs.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1794478499&rid=-50

Also recent:

Ball Releases Opticks To Open Source Community

http://www.satellitetoday.com/satn/features/21741.html

Related:

Sun fires a GPL3 warning shot

,----[ Quote ]
| Ops Center aims at managing all of this, and the first version will only do
| that when it is released on January 8th. More interestingly, the source code
| will be put out on December 10 for those into messing around with low level
| details. To shake things up a lot more, at least some of it, the Common Agent
| Container, will be licensed under the GPL3. Won't that ruffle some feathers.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/04/sun-fires-gpl3-warning-shot

Sun to dangle prize money over open-source efforts

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems on Wednesday will release details of a new award program
| meant to spur growth and activity within the company's open-source efforts,
| according to a post by Sun's open-source officer, Simon Phipps, on his
| corporate blog.
|
| "We'll be providing a substantial prize purse and working with the
| communities involved to develop the approach that works best," Phipps wrote.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/120407-sun-to-dangle-prize-money.html

Sun bullied, used threats to gain control of open source project, former owner
says

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/112907-sun-opends.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news