Re: [News] [Rival] MSBBC Becomes Microsoft's Propaganda Channel (Again)

____/ [H]omer on Monday 17 December 2007 03:31 : \____

>> BBC pinches hot new columnist from Microsoft
>
> Good grief! He even has his own *column* now. The MSBBC has obviously
> given up even *pretending* that they're impartial; they might as well
> make the "MSBBC" name official.
>
> As for Pearly's "illuminating" little speech, I found Mr. T's version
> rather less condescending by comparison. Pearly has a real talent for
> stating the obvious, and taking far to long to say absolutely nothing.
>
> Executive summary:
>
> . Almost everyone works with computers
> . Almost everyone works with computers (rephrased)
> . Gives examples of who "everyone" is
> . You need computer skills to succeed
> . You need computer skills to succeed (rephrased)
> . Oh, and maths and science ("and"? ... maths *is* a science)
> . The most interesting things come from science
> . There are many job opportunities in software
> . Software engineering is not a solitary endeavour
> . To write software you need specifications
> . To learn, you should read lots of books
> . But getting information from the Internet is easier
> . Having curiosity helps you succeed
>
> So the executive executive summary is:
>
> Almost everyone (e.g. store clerks) works with computers, therefore you
> need science skills to succeed. Science produces interesting things and
> many jobs, including software engineers who need to work in a team, and
> acquire specifications to do their jobs properly. If you have curiosity
> to learn these skills by reading books and browsing the Web, then maybe
> you will succeed. Nobody expects success. Your chief weapons to succeed
> are science skills and curiosity ... and fear. You have *three* weapons
> to succeed - science skills, curiosity, fear and surprise. Amongst your
> weaponry are such diverse elements as: science skills, curiosity, fear,
> surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope
> and a nice red uniform.
>
> Executive executive executive summary:
>
> . You need science skills and curiosity to succeed.
>
> He forgot some important ones, like:
>
> . Water is wet
> . The Pope is Catholic
> . Never stick your fingers into a live electrical socket
> . The capitol of Nebraska is Lincoln [*]
>

> [*] Couldn't resist the old "Kentucky Fried Movie" quip.

Later on, the WSJ wrote about this hat trick as well (actually referring to the
BBC by name).

1. Microsoft commissions 'study'
2. Microsoft gets deal with MSBBC, formerly BBC
3. Bill Gates becomes a benevolent dic^H^H^HPROPAG~1 CHIEF.
4. ...
5. Profit!

It's like the whole thing was planned (study plug Gates in the BBC, which is
perceived as impartial).

Previously-unsurpassed exposure makes carnation-faced men
         run-level 2  2007-12-10 11:12                   last=