Re: [News] European Patent Convention Agrees That Overhaul of the System Needed

____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 15 December 2007 13:07 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 13 December 2007 16:26 : \____
>>
>>> Phil Da Lick! <phil_the_lick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> I think we can expect to see a huge rise in corruption in the EU because
>>> of this.
>>
>> Maybe that's why they call it "globalisation".
>>
>>> Let's hope that the british patent office doesn't fall foul of
>>> this.
>>
>> Software patents and business methods? Some people already get /around/ the
>> rules, setting precedence.
>>

> I don't think that the concept of precedence applies in the patent
> environment.  It merely shows that previous ones were wrong.  Patent
> offices are not about determining the rules, like law courts are, they
> are about awarding, or not awarding, patent.

True, but when setting the new rules (rewrites), proposals can be fattened or
watered down based on existing cases. It does happen. Also, the infectious
nature of DMCA and USPTO-style patent systems means that there's justification
for those lobbying. Momentum and inertia are truly a danger here (sheep/cattle
effect).

One person' diction is another's verbiage
roy      pts/2        cg093a.halls.man Sat Dec 15 08:43   still logged in