[News] Next Linux Kernel Approaches Final Release (RC5), X Server 1.4.1 is Near

  • Subject: [News] Next Linux Kernel Approaches Final Release (RC5), X Server 1.4.1 is Near
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 02:58:43 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
2.6.24-rc5, No Final Before Xmas

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's been a week, and I promised to be a good boy and try to follow my
| release rules, so here is the next -rc," Linus Torvalds said...
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/2.6.24-rc5_No_Final_Before_Xmas

X Server 1.4.1 Pre-Released, Finally!

,----[ Quote ]
| It's coming a month late, but today X Server 1.4.1 has been pre-released.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjI0Ng

Related:

Linux v2.6.24-rc1 "humongous"

,----[ Quote ]
| Linus Torvalds has just  released the first release candidate of the upcoming
| 2.6.24 Linux kernel: “This may count as one of the biggest -rc releases ever.
| It’s humongous.Usually the compressed -rc1 diffs are in the 3-5MB range, with
| occasional smaller ones, and the occasional ones that top 6M, but this one is
| eleven megs.”
`----

http://lkmltimes.brucalipto.org/announce/linux-v2624-rc1-humongous/

Linux Will Be Worth $1 Billion In First 100 Days of 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| The kernel development process is adding 2,000 lines of code a day or roughly
| another 160,000 by the end of 2007. By the end of 2008, it will have added
| another 730,000. So the kernel will have close to 6.4 millions lines of code,
| using Wheeler's methodology, at the end of next year. Sometime during the
| first 100 days of 2009, Linux will cross the 6.6 million lines of code mark
| and $1 billion in value.
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/newsitems.php

Microsoft's death knell for Windows Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| And of course, there's Linux - which already runs on hand-held devices
| without much fuss. That'll be in a much stronger position if and when the x86
| architecture becomes a potent part of portable life.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10006221o-2000331777b,00.htm

InfiniBand 2.6.24 Merge Plans

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition to listing all patches intended for 2.6.24, Roland also listed
| two issues that would most likely wait for 2.6.25...
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/InfiniBand_2.6.24_Merge_Plans

Linux 2.6.24 Networking Improvements

,----[ Quote ]
| Kernel Trap is out with a new article that talks about recent activity on the
| Linux Kernel Mailing List.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjA5MQ

InfiniBand/RDMA 2.6.24 Merge Plans