[News] Software Market Diversified Further with Apple and Softmaker

  • Subject: [News] Software Market Diversified Further with Apple and Softmaker
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 04:47:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Softmaker 2008 office suite is ready for Windows

,----[ Quot ]
| Today, the vendor announced that the finished version of Softmaker Office
| 2008 is on sale.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/100390/from/rss09

Linux and BSD are supported by Softmaker.

Apple's Mac market share rise is good for consumers

,----[ Quote ]
| So regardless of whether you love Apple or not, realize one thing: greater
| consumer happiness hinges on Apple's success.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13506_1-9831586-17.html?part=rss&tag=rsspr.6222251&subj=news

Related:

Choice: The system of Checks and Balances in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| What am I getting at here? Just that Linux has and always will be about
| choice. And although it is probably good to keep choice to a minimum when it
| comes to OEM deals (so as not to confuse the unwashed masses), it must be
| remembered that Linux can never consolidate to a point where only a few
| distros exist. Not only is it impossible given the nature of Linux and the
| needs of its users, but even if it did happen, corporate issues/politics
| could eventually muddy the development process and possibly the public
| perception of Linux in general. Smaller distros not only exist for the
| benefit of their user base; they exist as a system of checks and balances to
| the big boys and will keep the whole entire Linux ecosystem alive and moving
| well into the future.
`----

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/95008/

Linux needs diversity.

,----[ Quote ]
| The Human race is successful (too successful perhaps?) because of its
| diversity over a standard model has enabled it to concentrate on growing and
| expanding without having to worry if its heart pumps at the correct rate or
| the intestines are routed properly. The same thing should be for Linux. The
| advantage Linux has over the Human race is that if a better, stronger
| skeleton comes along then it can be replaced across the board and a new
| species of Linux is born.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/linux-needs-diversity-19152?e=unrec

Philosophy of Non-Competition